How much to replace a ondencing boiler?

Users who are viewing this thread

westleigh34

Reaction score
I have contacted six recomended Plumbers to take out a condencing boiler and replace it with a Worchester 30CDi. A Magnaclean, a new flue and the system flused (not power flused). All of the plumbers said it would take one man about a day to do the job. The average total cost of this is £2,200.

I am a very careful person when it comes to having work done and I always do some reserch of my own before going ahead. On checking various outlets I found that I could buy every item to do the job for a total of about £1,200. A tradesman would probaly be able to get evrything cheaper. This works out at about £1.000 for a days work. The plumbers addmit that this is the cost for a job such as this. I have had to pay this amount in the end because I could not get it done for less. As anybody had this type of exsperiance.?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Most of us speak USD, not the currency unit you mention. But it is the same story. You are comparing apples to oranges. Although it was not always the case, today with the internet and all you probably CAN purchase equipment on your own. But put empahsis ► ON YOUR OWN. A contractor would purchase the equipment wholesale, not necessarily much less than the prices you have found, and YES he will mark it up selling it to you. IN RETURN, he will probably provide labor coverage on any warranty repairs later. If you stiff him out of his profit, and just pay him to install the equipment, then the manufacturer will provide you parts on the warranty issue, but WHY would your guy come in and do that work for free???

As far as the total labor cost to do the work, don't try to compare it to what you think a PERSON's hourly rate of pay is. You are hiring a CONTRACTOR who has expenses...office expense, truck expense, huge insurance expense, payroll taxes, etc etc. Why do you think a lawyer ( barrister??) charges $350 per hour, a doctor $500?? You are paying for the total business, not just what the lawyer himself makes on it. Around here, the going rate for auto repairs is in the $80 to $100 per hour range. The mechanic himself is NOT taking home even CLOSE to that number!

westleigh34

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am 70 years old and as you can understand that we need to be careful of people taking advantage, thats why I am very careful when having work. I now understand that people in business have a lot to pay which the layman cant see so you are probably right in what you say. Thanks again for your comments.

westleigh34

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. I have now got a better idea where your coming from. Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks