Remote hose bib uphill from house

Users who are viewing this thread

Lightwave

Reaction score
I want to add a ground-mounted hose bib at the front of our lot, about 20' away from the house and 30' above both the incoming water line and the lowest tap in the house.

Unfortunately, trenching to frost depth isn't feasible because the soil is mostly rock.

The best idea I can come up with is to run irrigation pipe in a shallow trench (6") and install a dump valve so the pipe can be drained before frost.

Is there any safe and legal way to make this work without needing an RPZ (or similar backflow preventer) that requires annual inspection?

Due to the backflow hazard, I'm not going to install this myself. I'm just trying to figure out if the installation is feasible before I call a plumber for an estimate. Travel time charges here are substantial.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Any hose thread mounted backflow valve will prevent the line from draining before freezing weather occurs. The backflow device will have to be before the drain point, which means your code requirements will determine whether you need an RPPBFP or a lesser "pressure backflow preventer".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks