question..shower pans

Users who are viewing this thread

Kat

Reaction score
Due to termite damage in our bathroom we are having a major remodel done.
We want to have the tub removed and have a walk in shower instead. Everyone and everything i have read says go with a central drain. We have seen a shower pan in a catalog that has the L/R drain holes. This obviously would cut off some of the cost of not having to move the drain and if you already have a tub/shower system that has a L/R drain , then why is it so necessary to have a central drain for just a shower unit if you can get a pan with the L/R drain holes?? What would even be a ball park figure on having a central drain put in?

Thanks!
Kat

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
One reason for a central drain is so the slope of the floor is equal in all directions. If the drain is very close to one wall, that part of the floor will be very steep. It would be uncomfortable to stand on, may visually look strange and would complicate the tile setting process.

I had a plumber relocate my shower drain and shower water supply pipes. It cost about $425 for one day's work. However, I had the walls opened up to the studs, and also the subfloor was removed for him to work. If the plumber has to demo out the drywall and/or existing flooring, you're looking at well over $1000 for this work, just a guess.

Kat

Reaction score
shower pans

Thanks for the info. If they make shower pans that have the L/R drain holes then would that still be a much greater slope than you already have with an existing bathtub? It appears as the 6 inch lip around the pan is all level that the slope is in the base of the pan. This is what i visualize from the picture i have seen of it. If that is the case then the tile would be even all around.
The entire tile wall is coming down due to termite damage so we will be down to nothing when the work begins.

Thanks!
kat

TheZster

Reaction score
While traditional, a centrally located drain is not required. There are manufactured floor pans designed to replace tubs, with the drain on one end. Properly designed, they look as normal as any other floor pan.

You can also go the custom route and build your own pan....(or have it built) with the drain wherever you want it...

John Bridge

Mudmeister
Reaction score
Website
johnbridge.com
Hi Kat,

The Swan Corporation makes some very nice receptors designed to replace tubs. That is about the only way you would be able to go with an end drain. It is impossible to build a good-looking ceramic tile shower floor without moving the drain out away from the wall. :)

http://www.swanstone.com

swan_3260R.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks