Probably a silly question regarding shower taps

Users who are viewing this thread

Stinger73

Reaction score
Hi, I have just recently purchased a house and I am pretty raw when it comes to home maintainence but am learning fast. Last night my shower started dripping pretty bad and I am assumiong that I need to replace the washer in the tap which I know how to do. My question is (and please excuse may lack of knowledge on terminology), With the tap covers that go from the wall to cover the inside of the taps, do they generally screw on or are they normally glued on?. The reason why I ask is that it feels pretty tight. I dont know what brand fittings they are but I'm assuming that it's on the cheaper side. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
After removing the handle. you have the chrome trim, which probably unscrews, but it may also have been sealed to the wall with caulk. You could use a thin knife blade or a putty knife to slice through this.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Might it have a set screw in the side too?

Maybe *caulked* on with soap scum and mineral deposits.

You can usually buy new trim (escutcheon) if you destroy the old one removing it.

Jason

Stinger73

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. I think it may be a case of it just being tight from grime ect. The one on the bast screws off, so I am pretty sure this is the same. I'll apply a bit of muscle and can always replace it if it I break it.

I doubt I would have any hope of getting a plumber out for a small job like that here in Australia. I know how to fix the tap, just wasn't sure about getting to it as it is so tight. Just wasn't sure if it would be screwed vs glued (Though I was confident no-one would be silly enough to glue it on considering there is always a good chance you would need to get to it someday).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks