(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laundry drain setup, UPC

Default Laundry drain setup, UPC

I am installing a new drain for my washer, I have the pic that Terry posted and plan on making mine look the same. I had an utility sink in place before and will put it back when all is finished. My previous drain was 1 1/2"in the wall and under the house for approx 5', then 2" for 30 inches, then into the main 4" drain. I will replace all of the 1 1/2:" with 2" and install a vent through the roof. The old vent was about a 2' pipe inside the wall. On the horizontal run under the house, there is a clean out about 5' from where my drain goes through the floor. At this connection is where the reducer is to go down to 1 1/2". I plan to install 2"ABS to this point after removing the reducer. Is there anything else I need to do to do this the right way? The old pipe got pushed down from removing the nipple above the floor, That is why is is sloped in the wrong direction. I will slop my new pipe 1/4" per foot when I install it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by bpetey; 06-03-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The washer drain should be 2".

The vent can be 1.5"

The 90 bend where it goes from vertical to horizontal should be a long turn 90.

How high should my standpipe be with a utility sink installed too?

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

They're seperate. Rough in the sink @ 17" or so.

The washer box needs atleast 18" off "riser" comin off the trap before you connect to the washer box (or w/e you're using). That 18" may vary by your local area. Give yourself a 2 foot stand pipe for the washer to be safe.

I ran into a guy who claimed to be a plumber at my local store. Most of his info matched what I've read here. He looked at the pic that Terry had posted and told me I did not need the extra vent as long as I was within 30" of the main vent. He also recommended a clean out above the sink hook up for any possible future back ups. I imagine the vent requirements are local code specific but does the 30" he told me sound ok? I'm doing this without permit or inspections. He gave me the stand pipe lengths as Min 18" and Max 30" which I have read in another thread so I assumed he knew something but would like a second or third opinion just to be sure.
    Thanks guys and Gals for all of the help and useful info

You could be 6" from the drain and NEED a vent, or 5' away and NOT need one. HOW the piping is installed determines it, NOT the distance from another pipe. That "galvanized" elbow at the turn is NOT a drain fitting, and will be almost IMPOSSIBLE to unplug when, not if, that 1 1/2" horizontal line gets plugged. It could also be responsible for the line getting plugged when it happens.

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Plus you need to do something with that dryer vent pipe under the floor it is not legal

and may be a fire hazard

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    You could be 6" from the drain and NEED a vent, or 5' away and NOT need one. HOW the piping is installed determines it, NOT the distance from another pipe. That "galvanized" elbow at the turn is NOT a drain fitting, and will be almost IMPOSSIBLE to unplug when, not if, that 1 1/2" horizontal line gets plugged. It could also be responsible for the line getting plugged when it happens.
    I'll go back to my original plan and install the vent, It's not that much extra work. HJ, the 1 1/2 galvanized is getting replaced with 2" ABS along with a long 90 as Terry recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by MACPLUMB 777 View Post
    Plus you need to do something with that dryer vent pipe under the floor it is not legal

and may be a fire hazard
    Thanks, The dryer vent was like that when I bought my house a few years ago. What options do I have for the vent? It's 20 feet from any outside wall.
    Last edited by bpetey; 06-04-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Do you guys have any good tricks for cutting a hole in the roof (for the vet penetration) without going into the attic? After my stroke, I have a difficult time crawling across the studs to get all of the way into my attic and now I also have about 24" of blow in insulation to crawl through.

Default suds

Quote Originally Posted by bpetey View Post
    I am installing a new drain for my washer, I have the pic that Terry posted and plan on making mine look the same. I had an utility sink in place before and will put it back when all is finished. My previous drain was 1 1/2"in the wall and under the house for approx 5', then 2" for 30 inches, then into the main 4" drain. I will replace all of the 1 1/2:" with 2" and install a vent through the roof. The old vent was about a 2' pipe inside the wall. On the horizontal run under the house, there is a clean out about 5' from where my drain goes through the floor. At this connection is where the reducer is to go down to 1 1/2". I plan to install 2"ABS to this point after removing the reducer. Is there anything else I need to do to do this the right way? The old pipe got pushed down from removing the nipple above the floor, That is why is is sloped in the wrong direction. I will slop my new pipe 1/4" per foot when I install it.
    you should run two 2" lines back to the 4'' to prevent suds in the sink

Blog Entries

In over 30 plus years as a master plumber and drainman i have never seen or heard of any thing bigger then 2" pipe for a washer drain,laundry tub, and kitchen sink all draining though the same pipe and there is nothing in the plumbing code about anything more
    then 2" pipe !
    And i know i have passed a lot more inspections

MACPLUMB 777

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER

I don't know about using two 2" lines. I know a single 2" line works fine and is what is used in many areas. However, IPC does have a requirement that a washer does connect into a 3" or larger branch or stack (2" standpipe and trap, though).

See 406.3: https://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Virg..._Frameset.html

I assume that the OP is under UPC being in CA, so a 2" line all the way should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bpetey View Post
    Do you guys have any good tricks for cutting a hole in the roof (for the vet penetration) without going into the attic? After my stroke, I have a difficult time crawling across the studs to get all of the way into my attic and now I also have about 24" of blow in insulation to crawl through.
    Well I figured out a way that worked good for me. I used a 5' long drill bit that I had for running wires pushed up through the vent pipe. Went on the roof and drilled my hole. Do I need to paint the abs pipe on the roof or is that only for aesthetics?

Blog Entries

Painting the roof vent is to prevent uv light from degrading the plastic pipe !

MACPLUMB 777