(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: DIY Well Shallow Well Gas Auger???

Default DIY Well Shallow Well Gas Auger???

Years ago a friend of mine had a shallow well (15-20' static water level)drilled by a guy W/ a gas powered honda auger. I didnt see him do it, but to this day the well still works for watering just fine. Anyone ever seen this done? How Hard is it? I got a gas auger and alot of ambition. What do you guys think?Leave it to the pros or try it?

Previous member

Big commercial augers like the phone company uses to set poles will drill that deep, but a hand auger you will need a back hoe to get you down as deep as it can first.

One more thing. There are shallow wells around me, but how do I decide where to dig? Dowse witching? Does it work?Or should I just dig and hope for the best?

You can wash a well down to as much as 100 feet with nothing but a contractors pump and some metal pipe and a well drilling bit. It's not that hard. If your neighbors have 20' wells the shallow water is probably everywhere. A hand auger isn't necessary. Look online for explainations on drilling or washing down a shallow well.

Porky Cutter