Outside shower hookup to house supply

Users who are viewing this thread

rxnet

Reaction score
Trying to get suggestions on hooking up an outdoor shower with hot/cold supply lines. The shower has 1/2 inch MIPS and the current supply lines are standard 1/2" copper. My design was to use stainless flex supply lines from the shower through the wall and into the crawl space attaching to CPVC lines with shutoff valves and from there tie into the copper house supply lines using compression T's. In the winter, this would allow me to shut off the water supply to the shower, unscrew the stainless supply lines under the house , and pull off the shower head to store for the winter. (the shower head is 4ft wall mounted). If this would work , I'm not sure which fittings and what size fittings,pipe, adapters,valves, etc.. I would need to complete the run from the compression T to the 1/2" shower MIPS. any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

walt

rxnet

Reaction score
would this work (I'm trying to avoid soldering) shower 1/2 mips > 30" 1/2"FIPS x 1/2" FIPS stainless steel flex connector > (metal male adapter) 1/2" MIPS Brass with 1/2" CPVC slip > 1/2" CPVC pipe > 1/2" CPVC ball valve > 1/2" CPVC pipe > (metal male adapter) 1/2" CPVC slip with 1/2" MIPS brass > 1/2" Reg female adapter 1/2" FIPS x C > compression T > supply lines 1/2" copper tubing ??

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
would this work (I'm trying to avoid soldering) shower 1/2 mips > 30" 1/2"FIPS x 1/2" FIPS stainless steel flex connector > (metal male adapter) 1/2" MIPS Brass with 1/2" CPVC slip > 1/2" CPVC pipe > 1/2" CPVC ball valve > 1/2" CPVC pipe > (metal male adapter) 1/2" CPVC slip with 1/2" MIPS brass > 1/2" Reg female adapter 1/2" FIPS x C > compression T > supply lines 1/2" copper tubing ??

We like pictures....

rxnet

Reaction score
pics

here are the pics...stainless flex > cpvc/brass fitting > 1/2" CPVC > ball valve > 1/2 cPVC > cpvc/brass fitting > copper fitting > compression T

Attachments

• ssflex02.jpg
    ssflex02.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 686
  • cpvc-metal-male-adapter.jpg
    cpvc-metal-male-adapter.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 964
  • cpvc-ballvalve.jpg
    cpvc-ballvalve.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 940
  • copper-fitting-female-adapter.jpg
    copper-fitting-female-adapter.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,092
  • compression-tee.jpg
    compression-tee.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 684

Wallskev

Reaction score
Double Vlave less prone to issues

I have a outdoor shower system that drains etc and feel it would be better not to use the Braided Flex and have to disconnect them etc.

1. Use Pex in place of CPVC, easer and less trouble
2. Utize a Double Drain Valve system, 1 to shut off flow and 1 to use as Drain.

I use ball valves and have my drain do direct to a sump . Keep a pitch on the lines from the "T" connection to the Shower Vlaves and you will alwas have a good winter drain.

Kevin

Attachments

• Valves.jpg
    Valves.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 734

rxnet

Reaction score
kevin

are the chances pretty small that the pex would freeze between the main and first ball valve with that set-up?

rxnet

Reaction score
after reading the thread I'm going with the PEX ....I'll set it up as in kevins diagram above..my only question..... would I be able to connect a 1/2" male NPT fitting to a 1/2" FIP fitting and what would I use to seal it??...sorry , newbie here just trying to learn and save a little cash. thanks for the help!!

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I usually stop calling it an outside shower.
It helps with code requirements that drive up the cost substantially... IE pressure balancing and drainage...
I install a Moen HC Frostproof hose bibb and leave it to the customer to install a washing machine hose connecting to a showerhead.
As long as they disconnect the hose at the end of the season there is no freezing problem...
The Moen will not deliver full hot but it is a very comfy beach shower as most are cold only...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All showers in the US require anti-scald technology. If the installation is going to be inspected, you need a proper shower valve with that technology in it. A pressure balanced valve is one way that you can achieve that. It means that if the pressure (and usually the volume) changes on one side (say someone flushes a toilet), that could change the outlet pressure and therefore the temperature (hotter!). A pressure balanced valve adjusts the flow (because of the pressure change) so the flow rates from both sides remains the same (and thus the temperature). The other common way to do this is via a thermostatically controlled valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks