(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Laundry drain pipe help for s-trap location. Canada

Hybrid View

Default Laundry drain pipe help for s-trap location. Canada

Hi, I'm new here My house is very old and still has a 1 1/12 inch laundry drain pipe. It runs 40 feet across my crawlspace. I'm going to vent it and know how to do that correctly, but since the drain pipe is only 1 1/2 inches instead of the standard 2 inch and I need to re-locate it to the back wall, would it be more ideal to locate the s-trap lower than 24 inches from the top to offset possible back spill? I was thinking 36 inches or so but I'm not really sure.

Quote Originally Posted by klrman View Post
    Hi, I'm new here My house is very old and still has a 1 1/12 inch laundry drain pipe. It runs 40 feet across my crawlspace. I'm going to vent it and know how to do that correctly, but since the drain pipe is only 1 1/2 inches instead of the standard 2 inch and I need to re-locate it to the back wall, would it be more ideal to locate the s-trap lower than 24 inches from the top to offset possible back spill? I was thinking 36 inches or so but I'm not really sure.
    I 'm not really clear what you are asking.

But, s-trap are not allowed anywhere in north America....... except maybe Mexico (maybe you mean p-trap) Let us know if you have a laundry sink in your set up. Regardless of whether you do or not, whether its 1 1/2" or 2 ", you need to install a clean out at the 20' mark beyond your p-trap or have access to 20' of pipe in both directions from a clean out (for rodding purposes.)

To answer your original question , as best as I can understand it, (without a laundry sink) it can go at any hieght, prefferably a 2" diameter drain line. 36" - 40" is a comfortable height.

Sorry I meant p-trap. No laundry sink. I just wasn't sure how low the p-trap should be from the top of the standpipe? (drainpipe for wash machine) if the standpipe is around 40 inches?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just increase the standpipe to 2"
    That will give you some added volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Just increase the standpipe to 2"
    That will give you some added volume.
    Like 2" stand pipe, 2" p-trap running into the 1 1/2 inch drain pipe under the house?

If the 1 1/2" line is inadequate, and I would suspect that a 40' horizontal line WOULD be, it will overflow regardless of the riser OR trap size.