Path Light setup inquiry

Users who are viewing this thread

eubean

Reaction score
Hello,
I need advise about a simple transformer setup in my home. Originally, I had a pole lamp in the front yard which I have removed. What is left is the capped hardwiring that protrudes from below grade. In the basement, from an electrical box/light, extends a 120V wire to the basement wall. From there, the wire exits the basement through the cement block (through a drilled hole)and extends, below grade, 10 ft. to where a pole lamp used to exist. There is no conduit as yet. The ends of the 120V wire reach 1 ft. out of the ground and are capped off, temporarily. I wish to add a transformer within the basement to step down the current to 14V for a 14V 100W path light. This will be the ONLY light on that wire. I will not need a transformer for several lights. I've noticed step-down transformers that are the size of large shoe boxes but they are primarily for several light arrays. I only need it to work on the one. Can you suggest an appropriate transformer for one 14v Halogen 100W path light and can it reside inside the basement as opposed to an exterior box? Any other directions would be taken seriously.
Thanks for reading. Below is a simplified diagram of my situation.
Al

Attachments

• Lighting-setup.jpg
    Lighting-setup.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 247

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Most of the big box stores will have low quality plug-in transformers for landscape lighting. For your installation you will need to reconfigure the inside wiring to have a 120v outlet to plug it into. You will also need to install either a switch, a timer, or a photocell unit to control the on/off cycling of the unit.

eubean

Reaction score
Thanks, I also get the impression that I have little choice but to place a GFCI outlet outside instead and run off of that. I'm learning as fast as I can.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is no reason why you cannot install the transformer in the basement if you think there is a good reason to do so.

eubean

Reaction score
That's my answer.

Thanks, CacherChick. I'm going to do that. If I have trouble with "supposed" heat buildup, I'll just change it. It's only one light on a timer so I can't imagine a life or death issue.

Regards,
Al

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Power = volts * amps, or 100w/14v ~ 7.2A. So, keep the existing 14g wire. A smaller wire could be used. When using low-voltage lights, keep in mind that to get the same watts, you need more amps verses line voltage. A second 100W bulb on that transformer would just about max out that 14g wire. On line voltage, a 100W bulb uses 100w/120v ~ 0.83A. This is one reason much of the world uses 220vac, they can get the same power through using smaller wires. This discounts the safety issues.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks