Help!!! Pump Problems after chlorinating well!

Users who are viewing this thread

violet

Reaction score
We had our well pump (Gould submersible) replaced a little over a month ago (to the tune of $1500 :( ). A water test a few weeks later was positive for total coliform. Turns out they never disinfected the well after putting in the new pump and after trying unsuccessfully to get them to come back out, I decided to take matters into my own hands and do it myself.

I followed the standard instructions found everywhere online - diluted about a quart and a half of bleach in a 5 gallon bucked and dumped it into the well. I recirculated using a garden hose and then ran all the faucets in the house until I smelled bleach. I let it sit and about 5 hours later, I ran an outside house to clear out as much as the chlorine as I could and the water was BLACK! I figured it was just all the sediment coming out of the water since we have high iron/manganese content in the water. Ran the hose for about 30 minutes and the water seemed to get clearer (though still brown) at which point there was a noticeable drop in water pressure so I shut everything off.

My problem - checked the pressurizer and I couldn't get back up to 48/50 psi (normal cutoff). It was stuck around 35 psi. I ran some faucets to get it under 20 and it clicked on but only filled up to 30 psi or so. I figured I might have drained the well dry (have a known slow recovery rate) so I manually turned the pump off and let everything sit overnight. This morning, I switched it back on and the pressurizer filled to 50psi (albeit a little slow) and switched off like it was supposed to. I ran the outside hose again and the water was almost clear (not 100%). The pump worked fine for a few rounds of filling the tank but after running all the indoor faucets to clear the chlorine, I noticed the same issue - pressurizer not filling & pump not shutting off. I have now manually switched it off (switch on the wall) to avoid it burning out.

Have I ruined my new pump somehow with all the sediment? Could it be that I have somehow plugged the actual well with all that sediment? Is there anything I can do to test it before I call the pump guys to come back out? I assume there is some kind of warranty but I am afraid that I might have voided it with the chlorination.

THANKS in advance for any advice!

Violet

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Is is possible that some of the sediment is blocking the inside of the pipe nipple to the pressure control switch, preventing it from operating normally. The switch will need to be removed and the pipe nipple checked for a restriction.

violet

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion - I can certainly give it a try. The sediment is very fine and is nearly all gone at this point. But I might need to check several spots for any buildup. I've been very careful with my water usage today - only ran 1 load of dishes aside from a few toilet flushes (went to the gym to shower!). The pump seemed to be operating OK - switched on and off at the appropriate pressures but it does seem to be filling the pressurizer very slow (slower than normal). My well does have low yield - a recent test showed that it had about 150 gallons in it and a recovery rate of only 0.5 gal/min. My biggest concern is the pump - I want to make sure that I haven't damaged it in some way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks