Sink not draining correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

damb

Reaction score
I recently install a new bathroom sink/vanity. The drain pipe was 1-1/4" and I wanted to have a clean out at the bottom on the trap. The problem is that none of the hardware stores that I go to had 1-1/4" trap with a clean only 1-1/2" so I use and 1-1/2" and went down to 1-1/4" before the drain goes behind the wall. Now when the sink is filled it doesn't drain right. Do you think by doing this I caused the issue or could there be another issue.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The size of the connection at the wall determines how quickly or slowly water passes through that connection, and that connection neither knows nor cares what size trap precedes it. I would guess your sink seems to "not drain right" when it is full simply because it seems to drain faster when it is only half full even though the rate of flow is essentially the same in both cases. Personally, I find the typical 1-1/4" trap simple to disassemble and remove for cleaning or to recover a ring or the cap for the toothpaste tube, and I would rather not have an easy-access cleanout plug somebody else might leave loose under a bathroom sink.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The reduction in size is improper, but NOT the cause of the slow draining. You may have installed a "vessel sink" which almost always drains slow, or the pipe in the wall could be partially obstructed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like hj mentioned, if it's a vessel sink without an overflow, the grids could be slowing down the water. vessel sinks with overflows drains much better.

Or it could be that the p-trap was not trimmed in length at the wall.
Or that you need to clean the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks