Unifit and high toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

kaffine

Reaction score
I have a problem with a toilet because the flange is a little to high and wont let the toilet rest on the floor I didn't measure it but it seems to be about a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch to high. It is in a slab with a 3" ABS pipe with an outside ABS flange. I tried to dry fit a toilet and it still rocks some.

I was wondering if the unifit adapter used on Toto skirted toilets would be able to handle the flange being a little high? Thanks.

TOTO Unifit information

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How high is the flange above the floor? It should have no gap underneath it, and be attached to the floor. Sometimes the concrete finishers don't get the surface level around the flange, and that can mess you up, too. It could have a big hump there as well. It is possible that it is just the floor is unlevel and not flat. Take a straight edge and level, and see how things look. It's possible no toilet would fit well. You must shim the toilet, if required, to ensure it doesn't rock. The UniFit adapter is maybe a little deeper than some toilets, and has square edges, so it might fit better, but not if the floor is messed up. ANy toilet should fit if the flange is installed properly.

kaffine

Reaction score
I'll have to measure how high the flange is but it is a bit above the floor and not secured to it. I wont get a chance to do that until the weekend though. Come to think of it none of the toilets I have ever removed have had the flange attached to the floor. Granted I have only pulled 4 toilets but so far none of them have been done right.

The flange is not sitting on the concrete there is enough of a gap to get a cheap vinyl tile under it. I don't think one of the commercial VCT tiles would fit though. So a little less than an 1/8" off the concrete. The floor around it seems to be flat. When I tried dry fitting the toilet I was able to slide a piece of cardboard under the toilet without it touching the toilet so I think it is sitting on the flange. Also when I looked at how high the flange is compared to the height of the cast support bars on the bottom of the toilet the flange seems to be taller than the support bars. I guess I could always put thicker tile down since it would be easier to change the tile than lower the flange.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I can normally remove the flange and install a new one at the proper level in about an hour. Can you replace the tile that quickly, and cheaply?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks