3 Liter or .8 gallon toilet Canadian designed Proficiency toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

morehp

Reaction score
Terry (or any one else)

Have you heard of the relatively new 3L Proficiency Ultra high efficiency toilet from Hennessy and Hinchcliffe ...... http://www.handhtoilets.com/

If yes how does it compare to the Toto Drake or Toto Ultramax

As an architect I'm always asked by clients what to install and I'm always looking for what to spec on the projects I'm working on. At the top of my current list is the Toto product line.

The biggest hurdle I have with in specifying the TOTO products is their price... especially if the client is a developer who wants to put in the cheapest thing he can find and I end up with the complaints from the end owners (the owners of the condo)

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Steve McKerroll

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This company claims to be the brains behind the Niagara Flapperless. This was not successful. The trap of the unit pictured in there ad looks to me like it has some sharp bends which is an invitation to clogs. Cheap builder model toilets keep plumber busy changing them out not long after the homes sell. I understand the position you are in, and can't give you the magic formula to convince these folks that a few dollars more now will save grief later, especially when the build obvious is putting the bottom line ahead of quality, but I don't think the Proficiency toilet is the answer.

Alan Muller

Reaction score
Hmmm. This design seems to slightly resemble the Briggs Vacuity. Lets hope it works out better. 3 litre/flush is impressive if it works.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Their picture shows a toilet with a "double trap" which MIGHT flush better once you go it started. There is a saying, "Never be the last to accept a change, but do NOT be the first to make a change". This might be the best thing since sex and popcorn, but it could also be the biggest bust since the first 1.6 gpf toilets.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Guess I'll have to install one and see how it performs... compared to the Drake

I hope that you have a relatively new sewer line in great condition...

Dry packed sewer lines can be tough to unclog...

I imagine .8 gallons per flush will greatly increase the chances of a dry packed sewer line if it is in the least bit marginal condition.

Drainwave

Reaction score
Steve,

Any problems associated with dry packed sewer lines due to ultra efficient toilets is simply solved by the installation of the drainwave. www.drainwave.com.au

Cheers
Quintin

Attachments

• drainwave_image2.jpg
    drainwave_image2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 8,933
Last edited by a moderator:

Drainwave

Reaction score
Redwood, you are correct in identifying the problem, there is however a very clever "set and forget" solution called the drainwave. This clever product out of Australia solves this very issue. Have a look at www.drainwave.com.au

Regards
Quintin

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
All I see at that site is a slide show showing a plastic "thing" from different angles. It does NOT look like anything I would want to install in MY sewer line. Let's see now. First we have the .8 gpf toilet, and it doesn't work, so we ADD a Drainwave device, and when that creates problems, we ADD something else to make it work, and pretty soon we have an assortment of devices all of which were to get rid of a SINGLE 1.6 gpf toilet which was probably working just fine by itself without any additional help.

hj. The drainwave has been working successfully in multiple applications for over 5 years with no issues. The real issue is we need a certain amount of water to evacuate the waste/solid matter out of the WC bowl and then we need more water to move the waste down and through the sewer pipes, junctions, manholes, IO's, non-return/reflux valve etc etc. Currently we use clean expensive drinking water to act as a vehicle for waste matter. All the drainwave does is it collects other waste/dirty water to help and assist with moving solid waste matter down the sewer lines. Just remember the quote you posted earlier in this forum; "There is a saying, "Never be the last to accept a change, but do NOT be the first to make a change". This might be the best thing since sex and popcorn, but it could also be the biggest bust since the first 1.6 gpf toilets." The drainwave removes the risk associated with ultra efficient toilets. Hope to chat more about the topic. Try this link, it will take you to a short animation of how the drainwave works http://www.drainwave.com.au/drainwave.html
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

SamC

Reaction score
One of the problems with the original Briggs Vacuity was what happens if it clogs. Plunging such a design is likely to force sewage from the trapway into the tank through the interconnecting tube.

Sean Kimmons

In the Trades
Reaction score
3 litre Proficiency...does it work

It is totally understandable that there would be skepticism about a 3 litre toilet. People are always skeptical about great inventions. Our company happens to distribute this product in Canada. Although I am certain I will get a string of emails about how this invalidates my comments, I can tell you the facts are that tens of thousands of these toilets have been installed in Canada already and that number is rapidly growing each year. We regularly get emails from customers that have purchased the product and absolutley love how it works. Retailers are telling us it is one of their best selling toilets. If it didn't work this would be very short lived, however the product sales have increased steadily for the past two and a half years. I have this toilet in my home and it works as good if not better than the 6 litre toilets I have had in the past. Of course there will be the odd person who does not like the product but from our experience those people are an extreme minority. We have not encountered a backlash with regard to this product getting clogged and out of the limited number of clogs that have been reported, most are related to things that should not be flushed down toilets (q-tips, sanitary products, childrens toys etc.) causing the clog. At the end of the day this is a good product that is priced very well and works exceptionally well. It has been shown to save a significant amount in volume and dollars for customers that have installed it. It's definitely worth considering.

PJL35

Reaction score
I had this toilet installed 8 months ago and it is great - flushes well and looks good. It cost a lot less than a lot of other low flush toilets too. I would certainly recommend it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks