some say this others say that

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY

Reaction score
Hi all happy Memorial day,

I want to install a window a/c unit. I have been doing some how to reading up on it. Some sites say make sure to fasten the a/c unit to the brackets or directly to the aluminum/wood part of window,and make sure the a/c unit is level. Others say make sure the a/c unit is at least a half bubble off level (leaning towards the outside) so it drains properly and does not collect to much moisture in the unit.
Others say window a/c units are designed to operate with at least a 1/2" of moisture water in the collection tray at the bottom of unit. Does anybody know what is right? Off level,on level,fasten screws directly through the units cabinet into the window at certain points? I know some install procedures varie between a/c unit brands,but i thought for the most part they were similar..?

Thanks to all responders!

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
In my own experience, some of them used to need some slope in order to drain, and some of them are designed to contain and evaporate condensate via the outside fan so they will not drip.

Look at the bottom of your particular unit and see what you find. It might or might not have weep holes, and those holes might or might not already have sloped channels formed into the bottom of the unit ...

... then decide what you do or do not need from there!

Gator37

Retired prof. engr.
Reaction score
Some have a slinger ring that takes care or helps take care of the condensate by slinging it to the outside air. Cannot remember if it actually slings it onto the condenser coil or not to add evaporative cooling in a sense.
You need to install it per the directions for the particular unit you have or are going to purchase.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As we used to say in the military RTFM! The only way to know how your particular unit is designed to be installed, is to read the *** manual. Each company and model could have a different idea of how it is best to install their unit, based on its individual design. Your question is like asking when should you change the oil in your vehicle...some trucks have gallons, and are designed for long periods, some cars have 4 quarts, and then you have use - dusty roads, verses clean highway, stop and go verses cruising on the interstate.

Long winded answer - read the manual of the one you buy. Then, follow those instructions.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What YOUR manual says governs. I will say that I poked around on Friedriech and Frigidaire, and LG ........some of the brands commonly available today. The install manuals I looked at for window A/C called for anywhere from 1/4" to 3/8" slope to the outside. This is pretty typical, I feel. Many, if not most, modern units DO have a pan, and they use a slinger at the back to send condensate up into the condenser coil. This reduces or often eliminates any dripping condensate, and improves efficiency.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks