toilet flange help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian31

Reaction score
I am installing a new toilet in the basement bathroom. The existing toilet hooked up to a 4" cast iron pipe. I've purchased a 3" PVC offset flange to fit inside the pipe - is this the right way to go? Should I be using something else?
any advice /direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Brian

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most plumbers would use the existing 4" flange.
It may have slots or notches for the closet bolts.

If you don't have a flange to hook to, you can add one over the top.
If you add one, you would drill the concrete and use anchors to secure it.

Brian31

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Is it ok to use a pvc flange on top or into the cast iron pipe? Do i need to glue it in or ??? As stated earlier (perhaps not that clear) is that there is a 4" cast iron toilet drain in the floor. I've removed the existing flange as it was completely damaged/cracked etc.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
flange

Terry, wouldn't a lead and oakum joint be much better?
You don't have to rely on a couple of anchors, what ever kind they might be?
If it was my home, I'd choose a good old fashioned lead joint.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

You cannot use a plastic flange with a cast iron pipe. It will not glue into the pipe. You might be able to use a rubber gasketed "screw in" flange but they do not come in an offset pattern.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
plumber1,

I've never installed a lead and oakum flange where I'm at.
I don't think anyone has done that around here since the fifties.
(Greater Seattle area)

On a 4" buried in concrete, since the purpose of the flange is mainly to hold bolts, we use a "flange repair ring" that can be installed onto the floor.

Here's a post I found from the old board:
"REMOVE OLD FLANGE- SPLIT THE SIDE OF EXISTING FLANGE WITH COLD CHIESEL N HAMMER.WEAR SAFETY GLASSES.REMOVE THE OLD LEAD , YOUR GOING TO WORK IT A BIT.ONCE FLANGE IS REMOVED , DETERMINE LENGTH FOR NEW FLANGE.DROP NEW FLANGE OVER PIPE THIS IS AFTER NEW SUBFLOOR INSTALLED.PACK JOINT WITH OAKUM LEAVING 1 IN. FROM TOP OF OAKUM TO TOP OF FLANGE.HEAT OLD LEAD IN LADDLE AND POUR IN JOINT. LET STAND FOR A MINUTE AND CAULK (peen) lead with hammer and chiesel. be careful" Outofplumb

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
flange

Also, if the floor is raised, cast iron flanges come in deeper/longer depths than the regular flange.
A good thing to have here in Michigan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks