Outside fauset- anti syphon valve

Users who are viewing this thread

eh4k31st

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry,
For the first time in several years one of my outside fausets would not work when I tried to use it in the spring. Typically, I turn the fauset off, cover it with a foam cover for winter, take it off, turn it on and everything works fine. This year, I did everything I've always done, only there is no water coming from the fauset. There is an anti-syphon valve on this fauset, the handle turns freely, and the fauset appears to be wide open, just now water? Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is this a frost-free faucet? If so, it could be leaking inside the house when you turn it on. The anti-siphon function would not prevent it from flowing water in most cases. Maybe one of the add-on ones could. If it is an add-on one, it's probably easier to just remove it and replace. A faucet with it built-in generally leaks when that fails, not block the flow. If there is a washer, it could be stuck, blocking the water.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Some of the Frost Proof sillcocks have a spring loaded washer that relies on water pressure to push it open when the valve is opened.

Often when these are closed tightly for the lengthy winter season they jam tightly in place and the typical water pressure won't open it.

turn off the water to the sillcock.
Remove the handle and packing nut.
Put the handle back on and unscrew the stem to remove it.
Pull it out make sure the washer is on the end.
Put the stem back in close it but not too tight.
Put the packing nut back in and the handle.
Adjust the packing nut.
Turn the water back on the faucet should be ready for another season of use.

Next year don't close it so tight.
Only close it enough that it shuts off.
It is not easy to tell because the water continues to drip out of the tube for a while.
So just close it until you think it should be closed and check back later to see if it's dripping.

eh4k31st

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it possible that the turn-off valve on the inside has stuck in an "off" position and needs to be manually turned on?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
1000 times more like likely to be the sillcock outside...

Trust me on this one!
Less than 15 minutes and it will be fine...
frost proof stem.jpg

Last edited:

eh4k31st

In the Trades
Reaction score
Trust me, I believe you. The only shut off valve I can find is locate inside the house and it looks like the main- in a cut-out in the wall attached to a meter. Do I need to turn the water off before attempting to pull unjam the washer assembly unit of the outside faucet?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I usually don't bother...
I just partially loosen the packing nut and in most cases it suffices.
Water does spray a bit...

eh4k31st

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok, I feel like a total idiot. I have taken the nut assembly (turning knob) off, completely unscrewed the inner part of the fauset bib, it is absolutely dry and there is now respone. I did not see a washer either. Advice?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks