Move the toilet drain about 1 1/2"

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
Hi,
I won't bore you with the details, but in the master bath remodel I'm working on, I moved the wall behind the toilet forward the width of a two by four or about an inch and a half. I knew I'd be moving the
toilet drain as a result. I did not at the time think that would be a big deal, but I got a look at the drain
today. Everything is hooked into it...the shower drain and the double vanity sinks. It would be a royal pita to try to move all of that even the slightest distance.
I've seen those toilet connectors that are not straight down, but the drain part is offset at an angle for just such issues as I'm having.
Is that a good method to get around this problem and about how much lateral difference does one of those give me, distance-wise? I'm, guessing that someone would ask whether I've purchased the toilet yet and the answer is yes, otherwise I'd consider getting a toilet that could be closer to the wall.
I'd appreciate any insights.
Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jeff,
105 posts and you haven't read all the threads about toilet rough-in?
A standard toilet rough is 12" from the finished wall. Somtimes you can get by with 11-1/4"

The easiest solution would be to take the toilet back and install something else.

Most manufactures make 10's and 14's

Toto makes some that can be all three. Vespin, Carlyle, Soiree, Guinevere, Carrollton, Pacifica and more.

If you need a 10" rough, you can find that in a
Cadet 3 with 10" tank
Toto Drake CST744EF.10
TOTO Aquia CST412MF.10 dual flush.

Last edited:

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
Hi Terry,
Yes you're right ; and sorry, I should have made an effort to research the answer.
But I'm afraid I've done worse than that in this case by assuming the drain was
the same distance from the wall as the other bath I remodeled. It was the
same model toilet that I removed and I ordered a 12" replacement for that one.
Even though I've reduced rough-in space by 1 1/2", the new toilet fits perfectly with about
2/3 to 3/4" to spare. As it turns out, the original rough-in ended up being 13 1/2" for
a 12" toilet. Just dumb luck.
I was going to ask another pex related question, but I've decided to send myself
directly to jail and no $200....for being an idiot today.

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
To answer your original question. An offset closet collar, especially the type you would have had to use, would have been the worst choice you could have made, so not having to use one was MORE than lucky.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks