Helppp..Heat Exchanger quagmire

Users who are viewing this thread

A12548

Reaction score
I finally replaced my 20 yr old a/c here in Florida two yrs ago. I opted to not have a heat recovery unit on the new system. The installer, whom I cant locate or changed hands, snipped the lines dropping out of the old box. However, there are still copper lines coming out of my siding and into the defunct box. I want to take the box down and put new siding under it. I turned the valve on the box and water was dripping out very sloww from the packing nut, which i then tightened. So can it be still connected to my water heater?? Looking at my water heater I see no extra lines coming in. The other side of wall where pipes go thru siding is boxed in under new a/c so i cant see. Would an installer normally leave an active line with just the shut off outside? Anyone have any suggestions? Who would eliminate this line if it is active..a plumber or HVAC? Here is a pic...
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv248/a12548/heatexchanger.jpg

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If they are still connected then you should see the other end of the lines at the water heater. My guess is there still connected to the heater. Most AC contractors would not touch a existing water heater. Post a picture of the heater.

John

A12548

Reaction score
I should note that the copper lines coming just after shut off valves on top of heater are for a garage sink. is that line that goes to bottom of heater the heat exchange line?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
There are TWO heat recovery lines. They are the two insulated lines. They come off the top and bottom of the heater. I also see they have valves on them. You could try just turning them off ( if they hold ) then you could then remove the lines outside. The more permanent thing to do would be to cap the lines at the heater.

John

A12548

Reaction score
Thanks John, you saved me a lot of aggravation and I appreciate you taking the time to solve this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks