Plastic Wall Box

Users who are viewing this thread

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
Hey guys, long time no talk.

I've got a bathroom wall light fixture that I'm replacing, and when I got it up there it causes the box to come out past the drywall a bit exposing the box...which is undesirable.

Is there something I can do (besides ripping the drywall off and replacing with a metal box) to help this thing stay in place? Maybe a small clip that holds the plastic box behind the drywall?

Thanks,
k2

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I would try make two pieces of metal-like tabs through which you put the screws that attach the fixture to the box. These can flip up behind the drywall. When you tighten down the fixture, everything will be pulled to the wall.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Assuming the box has top and bottom flanges to keep it from falling into the wall, simply slip the long parts of the clamps in beside the box (one on each side) and behind the drywall, then pull the fingers out tight while holding the box back tight against the drywall and bending/wrapping the fingers around the edges of the box and tucking them down tight inside it. At that point, the straps should be holding the box in place with its top and bottom flanges/tabs back tight against the surface of the wall around the hole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks