Why is my well pump shutting off for a couple of minutes?

Users who are viewing this thread

MaxT

Reaction score
Hi everyone - Under high demand, with more than one faucet on, my well pump will keep up for a couple of cycles and then it just acts like it has to take a breather between calls for water from the pressure switch. Any thoughts. Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
We need to know if the pressure switch contacts are staying closed when the water shuts off? Also is it an above ground or submersible pump? If the points are not touching, then the pressure switch tube is probably clogged up. If the pressure switch points stay closed, then the overload in the motor is probably tripping.

Blakeacguy

Reaction score
We need to know if the pressure switch contacts are staying closed when the water shuts off? Also is it an above ground or submersible pump? If the points are not touching, then the pressure switch tube is probably clogged up. If the pressure switch points stay closed, then the overload in the motor is probably tripping.

I am having that problem. My points are touching and the pump turns off almost as to cool down. It’s a 1 hp 230v 33 gpm. How would I fix it if it’s overloading?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If it is tripping the overload you have already hurt the pump. That is usually from cycling on/off too much. Check the amps to see if it is running at normal load. If so then maybe the capacitor in the start box is the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks