New septic system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Ringwood

Reaction score
Hi All,

I installed a septic system at my cabin in central Maine 3 years ago. It has a 1000 gal poly tank. It is to code with the blessing of the local code inspector. This is my first experience with a septic system, so I have a few questions.

I have not used the septic system yet, but I will be getting the plumbing finished up this spring. It will get very light usage being a weekend camp for now. What is the best way to start this system up?
Should I get some water in there so the initial solids have some liquid to dissolve in?
Is a garbage disposal a good or bad idea?
I am also looking for do's and don'ts about washing machine use with the septic system.

Thanks for any advice,
Sid

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi All,

I installed a septic system at my cabin in central Maine 3 years ago. It has a 1000 gal poly tank. It is to code with the blessing of the local code inspector. This is my first experience with a septic system, so I have a few questions.

I have not used the septic system yet, but I will be getting the plumbing finished up this spring. It will get very light usage being a weekend camp for now. What is the best way to start this system up?
Should I get some water in there so the initial solids have some liquid to dissolve in?
Is a garbage disposal a good or bad idea?
I am also looking for do's and don'ts about washing machine use with the septic system.

Thanks for any advice,
Sid

Use liquid laundry soap and don't use any hand soaps that are anti-bacterial.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks