(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: New septic system.

Default New septic system.

Hi All,

I installed a septic system at my cabin in central Maine 3 years ago. It has a 1000 gal poly tank. It is to code with the blessing of the local code inspector. This is my first experience with a septic system, so I have a few questions.

I have not used the septic system yet, but I will be getting the plumbing finished up this spring. It will get very light usage being a weekend camp for now. What is the best way to start this system up?
    Should I get some water in there so the initial solids have some liquid to dissolve in?
    Is a garbage disposal a good or bad idea?
    I am also looking for do's and don'ts about washing machine use with the septic system.

Thanks for any advice,
    Sid

Just use it!
    The system will take care of starting up itself...

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
    Hi All,

I installed a septic system at my cabin in central Maine 3 years ago. It has a 1000 gal poly tank. It is to code with the blessing of the local code inspector. This is my first experience with a septic system, so I have a few questions.

I have not used the septic system yet, but I will be getting the plumbing finished up this spring. It will get very light usage being a weekend camp for now. What is the best way to start this system up?
    Should I get some water in there so the initial solids have some liquid to dissolve in?
    I am also looking for do's and don'ts about washing machine use with the septic system.

Thanks for any advice,
    Sid
    Use liquid laundry soap and don't use any hand soaps that are anti-bacterial.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
    Bad idea. Septics don't like solids.