Bryant Evolution Question

Users who are viewing this thread

moisheh

Reaction score
Our new Bryant is supposed to be a "smart" furnace. After 2 weeks here the furnace ran for about 8 hours and the AC for one hour it is telling me the filter is 65 % used!!! How is that possible. How does it determine this: by back pressure or by time?

Thanks

Moisheh

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You should check you manual to see if the filter signal is just a timer. If it is, the T'stat may not have been set to "zero" at start up. A quick glance at the filter should reveal if it is 65% dirty!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A dust storm off the desert could easily use up a filter as could a big burden of pollen, especially if the doors and windows are open part of the day.

Lightwave

Reaction score
Our new Bryant is supposed to be a "smart" furnace. After 2 weeks here the furnace ran for about 8 hours and the AC for one hour it is telling me the filter is 65 % used!!! How is that possible. How does it determine this: by back pressure or by time?

If your thermostat is programmed to expect a media filter, the Evolution will try to detect filter state by comparing the current external static pressure (ESP) on the blower with ESP measurements taken when the system was installed. In my experience, filter detection on the Evolution is useless.

If your thermostat is programmed to expect an electronic air filter, filter cleaning reminders are based only on a timer.

moisheh

Reaction score
Thanks Lightwave: I am using the good 3M filters and I know they do not last as long as the 99 cent junkers. However when I examine the filters they are fine. Bryant slipped up on this one.

Moisheh

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on how fine of particles the filter is designed to trap, a visual inspection won't tell you all that much. Once you have a lot of visually observable crud, the filter is long past changing. How much of a restriction the fan and heat exchangers can take depends on the design. For example, it might be designed to only allow a maximum of 15% reduction with the filter. A new filter might be 10% out of the box (verses no filter), and you might not be able to see an accumulation of crud on the filter until it dropped to 40%, but by design, you'd been overstressing the system for quite awhile. While few people change their filters every month, that is the interval some suggest. What you're seeing may be normal. Now, most people don't replace their filter that often and their systems don't die, but they may not be working as efficiently as they could for much of their lives.

Lightwave

Reaction score
I believe the Evolution filter sensing system was specifically designed for Bryant/Carrier's 3.5" media filter and EAC units. It probably won't give meaningful results when confronted with standard 1" filters.

Evolution furnaces have variable speed blowers which operate in constant CFM mode. Dirty filters won't disturb an Evolution as much as they would disturb a traditional system. Provided your ductwork isn't extremely restrictive, a dirty filter will just cause the blower to ramp up to maintain the correct airflow through the heat exchanger and AC coil.

The Evolution thermostat can report system static pressure if you want to keep an eye on the airflow health of your system.

Replacing the filter every two months is probably good enough.

Rat

Reaction score
The problem is the #M filter, they are very restrictive to begin with. What the Evol sees is, even with a new #M filter, a high ESP; then the filter loads just a small amount, and it sends the filter dirty signal. Get rid of the 3M filter and get a good MERV 11-13 Camfil or equivalent and you will be back to your regularly scheduled filter changes.

In my testing the 3M micro-pleat filter had twice the pressure drop of the Camfil micro-pleat filters.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks