1300 Series, Dripping Shower Head

Users who are viewing this thread

Tomboy

Reaction score
I have a Delta Single Knob Shower set that was installed about 8 years ago (1300 Series, I think) that has begun to leak throuh the shower head when turned off. I don't have any paperwork with it to show how it is put together, but I have tanken off the knob, the escuthheon plate, and a sleeve that covers the valve. It has no cut off at the valve, so rather than running to the basement to shut down the house water, I thought I'd check to see if anyone out there was familiar with how to take it apart, before I try to and screw it up so I'd be afraid to turn the water back on.

The control valve mechanism is about 2 inches in diameter, and is held to gether (I think) by a collar that doesn't seem to move either clockwise or counter-clockwise to medium pressure. Didn't want to put the pipe wrench to it until I knew what I was doing.

Any suggestions?

Tomboy

Reaction score
In case anyone is interested, the valve for this Delta shower model (13XX) is made up of two parts - the controler (RP19802) and the internal channeler (RP19805), or the entire valve (RP19804) -these are Delta numbers.

I took the valve apart and replaced the springs and gaskets on the channeler as suggested by Delta on their "Frequently Asked Questions" page, but the shower head still leaked. Trying to find either RP19806 or the entire valve RP19804 has been futile in the Atlanta area, so I have resorted to ordering it from Delta directly.

In the absence of advice, I had to plunge forward (if you will forgive the pun) with the pipe wrenches. Fortunately things went well. Now I am the expert. Imagine that....

delta-rp19804-blue.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
As Tomboy has alluded to, the Delta website is among the best for technical support ( diagrams, part numbers, etc.) Check it out.

The Monitor 1300 series is a pressure balanced shower. The innermost assembly on the diagram is the balancing spool. You replace this if the water seems to be "stuck" on all hot or all cold.

The outer assembly is the actual on/off/volume control. This is not a high-failure part.

In between these are two little pieces called seats and springs ( actually two of each. If the faucet is dripping, it is these pieces which need to be replaced. The Delta part number is RP4993. This is the same seat and spring which is used in EVERY delta faucet that I know of ( well there was a different spring and rubber on older ones.) Anyway, it is an extremely common part and should be available at almost any hardware, box store, or plumbing supplier. The other parts might have to be ordered if you needed them, but can be ordered on the Delta website.

rp4993.jpg

Most faucets for at least 15 years have had a manufacturer's lifetime warranty on parts, so Delta might sent them to you free.

In the parts diagram, there is a part identified as "collar" . This is a ring which screws onto the main valve body, and hold all the other parts in place. After turning off the water, this is the piece which needs to be unscrewed to access the parts inside. On a shower only eight years old, this should not be frozen on too bad. You could squirt some vinegar around the base and allow it to soak into the threads for an hour. If necessary, try to hold back on the body with a large pliers or wrench.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

Replacing the springs and washers should stop the drip. Did you use genuine Delta parts? It can make a difference.
Deb
The Pipewench

smr

Reaction score
jimbo said:
As Tomboy has alluded to, the Delta website is among the best for technical support ( diagrams, part numbers, etc.) Check it out.

The Monitor 1300 series is a pressure balanced shower. The innermost assembly on the diagram is the balancing spool. You replace this if the water seems to be "stuck" on all hot or all cold.

I too have a delta monitor tub shower faucet in the third floor of my bath room. and it leak too. I wonder where i can find the series number like 1300 for my faucet? Do delta use catridge system?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
smr

Delta makes three different Monitor series and each has its own special "cartridge". There is no number on the valve itself so the plumber has to use his experience to determine which one you have by viewing the handle(s), or the part in the wall.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You probably wont find any numbers on the unit. Best way is to go to the Delta website and find one that looks like yours inside and out.

Delta does not use cartridges in the sense that Moen has a washerless cartridge and other manufacturers have ceramic disc cartridge. Delta still uses the seat-and-spring system which they have used for decades. Hard to argue with success!

beth1111

Reaction score
we too have the same problem and bought the seats and springs to replace. how do you dis assemble the white cartridge to get to the inner area to replace?

Last edited:

MoeLarryCurly

Reaction score
Beth,

Follow link for Maintenance procedure:

monitor-1300-1400-parts.jpg

delta_600.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks