ID this weird valve after the shutoff valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I took it off a high rise condo. It was right after the angle stop and the supply line was attached to it. I've taken it to a few plubing supply houses and no one knows anything. Any thoughts?

Mike

Attachments

• rutan_shutoff2..jpg
    rutan_shutoff2..jpg
    45 KB · Views: 246

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have never seen one... but it is obviously a motor operated valve. Small low volt motor + gearcase. The question is where did the wire connect. Was it to some kind of leak detection system ?

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
Are there anymore of those in the particuar condo? If so they could have been wired to a point outside the condo somewhere else in the building. This would allow the water to be controlled remote at a central place for all the condo's in the building.

I've one similiar but it was on a main line. It was at a dental building, they had a main panel next to the alarm system, when they left at night they would switch it off and the solenoid valve would shutdown the water to the building. It was to prevent leaks from flooding the building should any occur over night but also prevent unauthorized use of the water when nobody was there (ie on a hose bibb)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It looks like a metal version of a plastic irrigation solenoid valve. Depending on whether it was normal open or normal closed it would have been used to control the water supply. The most likely thing is that there is a water sensor somewhere, such as by the washing machine or water heater, which operates that valve to stop a flood.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks