I hate shower diverter "valves"

Users who are viewing this thread

Fubar411

Reaction score
When taking a shower, I really, really hate the gate valve thing that stops most of the water at the tub spout and forces it up to the shower head (forgive me if I don't have all the terms correct)

Why did we ever get away from having a third handle - aside from the non-anti scald benefits? Why aren't there more mixing valves that have a built-in diverter? And finally, do Delta/Moen/Kohler all make 3-way mixing valves so calcium deposits don't build up in my tub spout and make me replace it when water inevitably ends up spraying out of the "valve"?

Thanks,
Rob

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Why did we ever get away from having a third handle - aside from the non-anti scald benefits? Why aren't there more mixing valves that have a built-in diverter? Thanks,
Rob

► The antiscald requirement drove out the traditional 3 handle shower.
► $$$$$$$$$$$. It is ALWAYS all about the money. It is a lot easier for a manufacturer to make a valve body with no diverter, and just put a diverter spout in the box to make it a shower.
Symmons for one still makes a single handle pressure balanced valve with diverter lever.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks