(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: I hate shower diverter "valves"

Default I hate shower diverter "valves"

When taking a shower, I really, really hate the gate valve thing that stops most of the water at the tub spout and forces it up to the shower head (forgive me if I don't have all the terms correct)

Why did we ever get away from having a third handle - aside from the non-anti scald benefits? Why aren't there more mixing valves that have a built-in diverter? And finally, do Delta/Moen/Kohler all make 3-way mixing valves so calcium deposits don't build up in my tub spout and make me replace it when water inevitably ends up spraying out of the "valve"?

Thanks,
    Rob

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Maybe you should 1st start with a water softener

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar411 View Post
    Why did we ever get away from having a third handle - aside from the non-anti scald benefits? Why aren't there more mixing valves that have a built-in diverter? Thanks,
    Rob
    ► The antiscald requirement drove out the traditional 3 handle shower.
    ► $$$$$$$$$$$. It is ALWAYS all about the money. It is a lot easier for a manufacturer to make a valve body with no diverter, and just put a diverter spout in the box to make it a shower.
    Symmons for one still makes a single handle pressure balanced valve with diverter lever.

Your problem is that you buy "cheap" diverters. Buy a Delta "pull down" diverter spout, and you will eliminate that problem.

I have been impressed by the quality of Delta, I will definitely check it out.