preparing for sod

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY

Reaction score
I am preparing @ 350 + sq.ft.of earth for sod. Scattered throughout that area are these grass plugs of what looks like bahia grass,and when I till/ariate the earth with a hand tiller they come up easy enough. The tines on this tiller are about 5-1/2 inches long. My question is this: How deep do those roots run on those grass plugs? Do I need to spray round up on those plugged areas to? another words I would hate for them to over take/strangle the sod roots. Or, will cleanly pulling them up be just fine?
Thank you

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that type of grass, but if it is a plant that would take over your new lawn, then I sure use the Round-Up. I'd wait a couple of weeks or so to see if any new sprouts came up of seeds, then spray again. You might have to repeat this more times.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks