Need Help With Shallow Well

Users who are viewing this thread

bigallis1

Reaction score
Just purchased a 6 year old home in central florida that has a shallow well that is used to irrigate the lawn.
The pump runs but it will not prime or pump water.
I had a well contractor check it and he says the well is dried up and I need a new well dug.
Not that I don't trust the contractor, but are there other conditions or problems that I may have and I really don't need a new well dug?
I wanted to get feedback here before I went any further?
Are there thing's I could check my-self, as I am pretty handy?
The contractor did repair some of the exposed piping and could not get it to prime.
Thank's in advance for any help or feedback.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The well will need to be opened up so the water level and production can be measured. Nothing is for sure until this is done.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with how things are done in Florida. Do you know where the well is? How is it covered/sealed? There are a couple of southern drillers here who will likely reply more knowledgeably.

I've not dealt with a shallow well before. On a deep well there is enough room in the casing to drop a string line down it to measure the water level vs. depth of the well. On a shallow well I suppose it would be best to pull the well seal and piping out to take a measurement. If the water level is below 27 feet your pump will probably not be able to pull any water from it.

Meanwhile, if you can post a picture of the well head and equipment it might be helpful.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks