(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gulf oil disaster

Ya fight fire with fire, burn it out.

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

Can't burn the oil that is moving underwater
    This is going to make it around Florida, the the gulf stream is going to take it up the coast
    And they are already saying it will effect fisheries in New England
    The bluefins spawn in the Gulf
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Plumbing View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_oil_spill

FAIL

"The effort underwater was going on as oil drifted close to the Florida Panhandle's white sand beaches for the first time"

20% increase in flow once the cut is made to open and cap. Relief well is over 2 months away.

I'll give yah a dollar if you can guess how many tens of thousands of gallons of oil have leaked since my last post on 6-02-10.

You think Operation Repo is bad on TruTv, wait till you see the faces on the people in florida when they are surrounded by an oil slick.

And here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGxGVGiD3yk

This is just one of the issues that happens when that volume mass sits in one area, it's gassing off. Cancer rates are going to soar in those coastal states, no one will be able to pinpoint it.

It'll just happen, over time, victims.

Chevron just had a oil spill, there's another one leaking out there aside from this one. Media is tight lipped about 3, let alone one.

The Bp gas stations are losing all their customers here in Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati area. People so pissed off about the poor design this has taken.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

The Science Channel was showing NatGeo's Gulf Oil "Spill" special last night. Very interesting and of course concerning. It seemed they were pandering to BP's image as a tradeoff for access though.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

This link shows a post on The Oil Drum which is probably as accurate an assessment of the situation you will find anywhere.
    Bear in mind "The Oil Drum" is an oil industry forum and just like here someone would rapidly shoot BS full of holes...
    http://www.theoildrum.com/node/6593#comment-648967

When you read that you will have a pretty good idea of what is going on...
    I assure you it's ugly and it won't be found in the papers...

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

I have come to the realization that American taxpayers will have to pay for this, which is no bad thing.

The industry should have been better regulated, so it's the fault of American voters.

Pay the taxes or have dirty beaches. The choice is yours.

I quite like the Golf Coast and Florida as well as the people living there, so as a non-American living here I propose to pay higher taxes.

Bigger Government is the only fix to this and more jobs for my friends in DC.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 06-16-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    I have come to the realization that American taxpayers will have to pay for this, which is no bad thing.

The industry should have been better regulated, so it's the fault of American voters.

Pay the taxes or have dirty beaches. The choice is yours.

I quite like the Golf Coast and Florida as well as the people living there, so as a non-American living here I propose to pay higher taxes.

Bigger Government is the only fix to this and more jobs for my friends in DC.
    Yea you are right...
    After the hollow shell of BP is sold off to the Chinese the taxpayers will have it applied to their tab

BP will be long gone and forgotten but the mess will linger on....

Default Europhonies

British Petroleum has more than enough money to pay for this--the $20 billion they set aside is a drop in the bucket compared to the total value of their assets. Also, how come when an American company does something in Europe, lets say, it is the fault of the American company but a European company pollutes America and somehow then it is still the fault of America. Hypocrites like Ian, if they read a story about Microsoft or Intel doing something bad in Europe, would exclusively blame the American company and not Europeans for not regulating tightly enough.

Of course, the real goal of Europeans attacking America is to distract attention for their imperialist past (and present.) They can go on gleefully about how America is contributing to drug wars in Mexico, for example, but ignore narco states in West Africa financed by Euro drug money.

OK then blame the British. Just like New Orleans tried to do before they realized that a lot of the tourists that go there are from England. Duh!

Like I said before, it's not really a British company any more. Americans own half the shares.

A bit like America really. Once ours but not any more. Although it was a little bit better when it was!

They were happy times.

Last edited by Ian Gills; 06-18-2010 at 04:31 PM.

A very concerning accident and the sad thing is there's not really much they can do to prevent a big oil spill. As already mentioned, the oil will be moving up to Florida and even New England will get its share of it. The natural consequences in the affected areas can't even be estimated yet, I am afraid it will be worse than most of us think. I am really angry at BP and all the people involved in the disaster, they are destroying earth.

DIY Junior Member MoverandShaker's Avatar

If this isn't sad, I don't know what is -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY-tIEqzcmU

Apparently the water has started to evaporate into the air and turn into rain water -- oily rain water. I don't even want to imagine how this oil spill is going to affect crops, homes and worst of all, people. Really scary stuff we're seeing here, I must say. What do you guys think? Isn't this horrible? I think the worst part of it is that if we DON'T BP, we risk having them lose all of their money and resources for actually fixing the oil spill. It's such an unusual and confusing situation.
    Please help me with my plumbing issues. If you do, I'll help you with your Aprilaire filters.

I listen to George Noory on Coast to Coast AM. He had a guy on that said there is about a 15 mile span of Ocean floor Raising up around the well. The guy said they have been doing it all wrong. If that big underwater zit pops, we are really going to be in trouble! Don't shoot the messenger. It was in the last three weeks I heard this, I think.

Yeah, the next thing is that it seems like a lot of mistakes were made right after the actual accident - the oil could move underwater and spill and I am sure they could have done better in reacting to the accident and minimizing the damage.

Good news out of the gulf...

Sunday afternoon they dropped the transition riser in place on top of the gusher and they got a good flange seal made up.

They just completed dropping a new cap in place and locked it on with a hydraulic coupling a few minutes ago.

They may now after some testing possibly be able to shut the well off if its integrity looks good after testing...

Worst case scenario is they will be able to collect 100% of the oil and either process or burn it off at the surface except when severe storms come through and they have to disconnect.

They just completed dropping a new cap in place and locked it on with a hydraulic coupling a few minutes ago.
    Sounds like one of Redwood's invoices.

Or in other words, fancy language for a fernco. Where were the plumbers when I asked them for solutions?

Three months later, millions of gallons spilled, wildlife killed and thousands of livelihoods at risk and the plumbers here couldn't even be bothered to slap a banded coupling on it!
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 07-13-2010 at 09:18 AM.