(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Gulf oil disaster

Hybrid View

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Default Gulf oil disaster

This is really starting to annoy me.

Take it from a Brit, if you've got a leak America CALL IN A PLUMBER! Not many good ones made it over on the boat here but hey.

And I don't see a single one.

Here's my solution: send the top hat down and freeze the water around the leak. Just like what you might do with changing a leaking main valve.

BP are sending Toto to fix a problem that requires American Standard.
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 05-20-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They have "American" workers on the problem now Ian.
    What's your point?

Are you saying they need workers from other parts of the world to figure this out?
    Maybe someone from England, they people that only have hot water in the house on weekends?
    And low piddly pressure at that?
    I doubt that the English would know how to work on high pressure piping.

It is a shame, all this talk of that exact area being a "dead zone" in the Gulf from farming pollution and now they dump oil into it.
    It's just sad.
    Last edited by Terry; 05-21-2010 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    What's your point?
    My point was that plumbers would probably have better ideas to fix the leak but I bet they haven't called any.

And the rest was just my usual jibes at Americans.

Blame America first.

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    My point was that plumbers would probably have better ideas to fix the leak but I bet they haven't called any.

And the rest was just my usual jibes at Americans.

Blame America first.
    Errmm.... a plumber would know nothing about stoping an oil leak 5000' below the oceans surface.

You can't just pick up parts for that at your local wholesaler....

Google " Ixtoc 1". Same type of incident, except much more oil. It happened in 1979 - 1980 and nobody even remembers it.

Errmm.... a plumber would know nothing about stoping an oil leak 5000' below the oceans surface.
    I'm not asking him to do it, just what might work. The same principles apply whether you're plumbing at 10 atmospheres of pressure or 1000.

Google " Ixtoc 1". Same type of incident, except much more oil. It happened in 1979 - 1980 and nobody even remembers it.
    Interesting. Red Adair capped that one. And he sounded like a plumber, although he was a bomb disposal expert.

"It scares you—all the noise, the rattling, the shaking. But the look on everybody's face when you're finished and packing, it's the best smile in the world; and there's nobody hurt, and the well's under control."

"Retire? I don't know what that word means. As long as a man is able to work and he's productive out there and he feels good—keep at it. I've got too many of my friends that retired and went home and got on a rocking chair, and about a year and a half later, I'm always going to the cemetery."

"There are two things I really like about my job. When the phone rings I never know where I'm heading to next - and I'm never bothered by life-insurance salesmen!"

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 05-21-2010 at 06:57 PM.

And yet Obama, the smartest guy to ever be president is running around telling everyone this is the wors environmental disaster in history.
    Perception is 3/4 of reality