Can I tie my bathroom sink and utility sink drains together? As well as vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

vinceliberto

Reaction score
In the picture you'll see my existing stack that was put in when the house was built for the basement rough-in. (Pay no attention to the hose coming out of the plug, it's a water softener drain that was not done correctly. I'll be taking care of that in another way.)

To the right of this picture i'll be installing a bathroom sink and to the right of that a utility sink.

My questions are:

1. - Can I bring the utility drain over to the bathroom drain and attach with a "T"?

2. - Can I use the existing "Y" in the stack for the drain or should I leave this as a clean out and put a new "Y" above the one in the picture?

3. - Can I again tie the two sinks together in the same manner for a vent and attach further up in the stack?

Attachments

• bathroom drain..jpg
    bathroom drain..jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 1,247

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Don't get locked into having the clean out at the bottom. If you need to have fittings lower, I would remove the CO and put it higher it that's what it takes to put the other fittings in at the proper height.
If the heights work out, then leave the CO there.

You lav will need a vent and so will the washer utility drain.
Those vents can tie back together at 42" but can't tie back into a waste stack.
You will need to run a separate vent to the next floor, or use an AAV, which can have it's own problems.
An AAV needs to remain exposed and have available air for it to work.
There also needs to be a primary vent in the system for it to work, they are secondary vents.

vinceliberto

Reaction score
Terry;258692You lav will need a vent and so will the washer utility drain. Those vents can tie back together at 42" but can't tie back into a waste stack. [/QUOTE said:
The stack in the picture I believe was intended to be a waste / vent stack for the basement bath. There are no other appliances going into the stack from above. The stack is going thru the house up thru the roof. If that's the case can't I use it as the vent for the new sinks? Also I'm not sure what you mean by tying back at 42" ?

Thanks for the help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If that pipe were intended to be a WASTE, it would have had a sink connection to it. We cannot tell you, from the pictures, whether you SHOULD use it for the sink drains or not. (There is no way for us to stop you from doing it if you decide to do it anyway.) The 42" requirement may come into play depending on HOW you make the connections for the two sinks.

vinceliberto

Reaction score
If that pipe were intended to be a WASTE, it would have had a sink connection to it. We cannot tell you, from the pictures, whether you SHOULD use it for the sink drains or not. (There is no way for us to stop you from doing it if you decide to do it anyway.) The 42" requirement may come into play depending on HOW you make the connections for the two sinks.

It surely drains, the water softener has been draining into it for years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks