toilet waste and vent in Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

Christoff

Reaction score
hello i am in toronto canada and am putting a basement bathroom in a bungalow. i was wondering how far a toilet is allowed to be from the drain when using a vent. i am looking to put the toilet about 10 feet from the drain thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can't speak for Canadian codes, and even in US it depends on local codes. Some require 6' and some allow 10'. Best advice I have is to check your local building codes enforcement. That's always a good idea anyway to avoid running afoul of local variances.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
hello i am in toronto canada and am putting a basement bathroom in a bungalow. i was wondering how far a toilet is allowed to be from the drain when using a vent. i am looking to put the toilet about 10 feet from the drain thanks

You are allowed to have a trap arm that is 3m (10') on a 3" line for a toilet.

Section 2.5.6.3

3) A vent pipe that protects a water closet, or any other fixture that also depends on siphonic action for it's proper functioning shall be located so that the distance between the connections of the fixture drain to the fixture and the vent pipe does not exceed
a) 1m in the vertical plane
b) 3m in the horizontal plane.

Last edited:

Christoff

Reaction score
basement layout

hope i got this right

Attachments

• phpwF5wZCPM..jpg
    phpwF5wZCPM..jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,516

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Because your drawing is not isometric or 3-dimensional, it is impossible to determine if it is correct or not. Vent lines cannot be horizontal until they are above the flood rim of the highest fixture. Looking at the picture it appears that your vent lines are coming up in the middle of the room and the tub drain has 2 vents. You should also list all pipe sizes and declare what fitting is being used at each transition.

Christoff

Reaction score
Because your drawing is not isometric or 3-dimensional, it is impossible to determine if it is correct or not. Vent lines cannot be horizontal until they are above the flood rim of the highest fixture. Looking at the picture it appears that your vent lines are coming up in the middle of the room and the tub drain has 2 vents. You should also list all pipe sizes and declare what fitting is being used at each transition.

hi, and sorry the vent is going up the wall , all other pipes are in the ground, i believe i have 42" marked on the diagram for the flood rim where all of the vents join, the drain is 2" coming from all of the traps and the what looks like a second vent for the tub is the drain going to the 4 " main drain. not sure if this explanation helps or my layout is all wrong?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
hi, and sorry the vent is going up the wall , all other pipes are in the ground, i believe i have 42" marked on the diagram for the flood rim where all of the vents join, the drain is 2" coming from all of the traps and the what looks like a second vent for the tub is the drain going to the 4 " main drain. not sure if this explanation helps or my layout is all wrong?

Well umm that is a pretty hard drawing to try and figure out what you're doing.

But if you plan on taking off with a vent inside the floor it either needs to be a wet vent or it needs to come off a nominally vertical angle which is 45* or more. So IE you need to come up inside a wall.

I think you need to maybe post a better drawing, a more basic drawing. Or even a few drawings to show the different angels.

Christoff

Reaction score
toilet waste and vent in canada new picture

i drew another picture i hope it is a little clearer

Attachments

• phpISYCpLPM..jpg
    phpISYCpLPM..jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,496

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Lose all the flat venting.
The lav drain should be in the wall behind the cabinet.
They haven't allowe S traps since the 1920's
Your're about 90 years too late.

Sorry, but we just want to make sure that when you drill the holes, they will be correct.
It would be a shame to run the layout and then

1) have the inspector turn it down
2) not draing properly.

The Santee in the vertical wall shoiuld be vertical and come out of the wall at 18" for a 30" counter and 20" for a 32" counter.
You can use 1.5" pipe for the trap arm.

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited:

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Terry is right. You need to get rid of all the flat dry vents you have in the floor.

Do a little research into wet venting in Canada and you'll most definetly change your drawing! :D

For that bathroom you could probably only get away with 1 vent, maybe 2. But you don't need 3 or 4.

Christoff

Reaction score
You are allowed to have a trap arm that is 3m (10') on a 3" line for a toilet.

Section 2.5.6.3

3) A vent pipe that protects a water closet, or any other fixture that also depends on siphonic action for it's proper functioning shall be located so that the distance between the connections of the fixture drain to the fixture and the vent pipe does not exceed
a) 1m in the vertical plane
b) 3m in the horizontal plane.

so, does this mean the distance from the vent that i willl be putting on the 3" toilet pipe(from the lav.) to the 4" sewer drain has to be no more than 10 feet? or is it the distance from the toilet to the drain.
also the 3" has to be the last most downstream vented? thanks chris

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
so, does this mean the distance from the vent that i willl be putting on the 3" toilet pipe(from the lav.) to the 4" sewer drain has to be no more than 10 feet? or is it the distance from the toilet to the drain.
also the 3" has to be the last most downstream vented? thanks chris

If you are wet venting the bathroom group then yes you must tie the toilet in last. If you plan on venting things seperately then it doesn't matter what order you tie them in.

Your toilet flange must not be more then 10' from where the toilets waste line (called the fixture drain) connects to whatever is venting it. Be it a wet vent or dry vent it doesn't matter. You have 10' on your fixture drain.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks