dirt in water from well

Users who are viewing this thread

missye

Reaction score
I was filling the hot tub tonight and half way through filling we noticed the water was starting to go a light brown color. This happened once before when filling the hot tub as well. Now the toilet boils have the same water and when i run the bath tub the water is the same colour. Any ideas why this is happening and how I can solve it? We have a drilled well about 100 ft deep.

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
That happens to 99% of all wells.
That brown stuff is built up in the pipes. When you use more water than normal it can break some off and it turns the water brown for a little while.
It will stop and you will be back to good.

Travis

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
what is the well casing, pvc or steel?

if its just discoloration with some specks here and there, you are probably fine. if you wanted to help prevent this.. before you start filling up something big like that, you could let the well run off a while first.

now if you seriously see dirt/sand in the water, that could propose a problem. i've seen so many steel cased wells rust holes and pump dirt, as well as discoloration. if this is the case, you will hate the solution.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks