Hot water manifold leaking and corroded

Users who are viewing this thread

Blown

Engineer
Reaction score
I was down in the basement the other day and noticed that the copper hot water manifold has a ton of corrosion on it, and a tiny drip at the bottom. Perhaps one drop an hour. Everything above a certain point on the mainfold is not corroded, so I should be able to find the leak.

Is this repairable, or should I just replace the whole thing?

If I need to replace it, should I try to reuse the copper valves that are sweated onto the manifold?

Edit: Crap, this looks like the one I have, and it's over $200. :( http://www.pexsupply.com/Wirsbo-Upo...d-w-LF-Brass-1-2-ProPEX-Ball-Valve-10-Outlets

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you can find the leak and fix it, you shouldn't need to replace the manifold. Try cleaning off the corrosion to find out where it is leaking from. It's probably one of the pex connectors. If it is the manifold itself, hard to say until you know where.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Until you find the leak and why it is leaking, you, and we, have no idea whether it is repairable or not. But normally, there is almost nothing on the mainfold itself which SHOULD leak nor is repairable.

Blown

Engineer
Reaction score
I'll clean it up with a wire brush and see if I can tell where exactly it's leaking. I'll try to snap some pics, too.

vittorio6

Reaction score
if you find ton of corrosion that it could be likely that you'll have the same problem in other parts of the system.. you should ask to an expert in your area and see if there is a problem with the water "quality". the corrosion of copper pipe can be due to different factors, like contaminants in the water..

Vittorio

Blown

Engineer
Reaction score
if you find ton of corrosion that it could be likely that you'll have the same problem in other parts of the system.. you should ask to an expert in your area and see if there is a problem with the water "quality". the corrosion of copper pipe can be due to different factors, like contaminants in the water..

Vittorio
The corrosion is on the outside of the pipe though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks