Help...Rusted fitting won't come off...Do I need a plumber?

Users who are viewing this thread

eastinway

Reaction score
Hi folks,

The hot water hose on my very old washing machine broke spilling water all over the basement. The hose itself is completely off but the fitting is rusted and will not come off. I tried soaking it with WD-40 and it still won't come off. Do I need to contact a plumber?:confused:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You can cut it off carefully with a hacksaw but because of the way most of those valves are installed, if you damage the valve you will need aplumber and it will be a more serious problem than just removing the hose would have been.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A plumber certainly is an option, but there are still some other things you an try. First, the fitting almost surely is not rusted. It is is just corroded. Second, WD-40 is not a very good penetrating oil. One of the most popular penetrating oils is called PB Blaster. Try spraying the fitting with that, letting is work for awhile, then try re unscrewing the fitting. Make sure you are turning the fitting counter clockwise ("Right tighten, Left loosen") Use channel lock pliers or a small pipe wrench to get a good grip on the fitting and to increase the leverage.

eastinway

Reaction score
Where can I purchase PB Blaster?

Thanks very much Gary for your reply ... do you know if Home Depot or Lowes carries PB Blaster or do I have to go to a plumbing supply place?

eastinway

Reaction score
Thanks HJ...let's see if this PB Blaster does the trick. I am due for a new washing machine down the road.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
You can get it at about any autoparts store (Autozone, Advance Auto, Napa, etc.). You may also find it in the big stores (Target, Walmart, etc.) in the automotive section.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You just cut the connector on an angle then peel it off like opening a sardine can.
There is no problem with the saw getting into the threads because the actual sealing is done by the rubber gasket against the surface on the bottom of the spout. Do not damage that surface.

washerhoseremoval.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
You just cut the connector on an angle then peel it off like opening a sardine can.
There is no problem with the saw getting into the threads because the actual sealing is done by the rubber gasket against the surface on the bottom of the spout. Do not damage that surface.

Redwood, you are becoming the artist. I have to say this is one of your better drawings. :)

washerhoseremoval.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

eastinway

Reaction score
So do I still spray the fitting with PB Blaster before using the hacksaw?

Thanks very much for all the replies to my dilema. My question is do I still use the PB Blaster on the corrided part and then use the hacksaw on it? ho hum ..... when will I resolve this issue:(

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The penetrating oil might break enough of the corrosion so you could unscrew it. If you are going to cut and peel, it isn't worth waiting for...just do it. You may want a wire brush to clean the crud out of the remaining threads of the shut-off before installing a new hose. You could apply some plumber's grease to it before reassembly. It might help make that come apart the next time.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plumbers grease may help...I use neverseize when replacing valve seats, but if you use the braided stainless steel hoses, you probably don't need anything. Just don't use the "floodsafe" ones-they fail at an alarming rate.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Redwood, you are becoming the artist. I have to say this is one of your better drawings. :)

That was just something quick I threw together with MS Paint years ago...
I think it might be time for a redo so it doesn't look like something one of my grandsons drew...
But it still serves the purpose...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks