Water Heater Short...

Users who are viewing this thread

pegraves

Reaction score
I installed a new Whirlpool 50-Gallon Energy Smart Electric Water Heater EE2H50RD045V myself several months ago. I thought I did a good job installing it. Just my luck, after returning from a short vacation, I had no hot water. I found the circuit breaker had tripped. I noticed a burn hole in the plastic control panel of my water heater. With the power off, I removed the cover to find that one of the wire nuts melted and the wire (fortunately) shorted on the ground wire. About three inches of wire insulation melted away. I installed this unit so I figure I screwed something up. What might have happened?

Attachments

• 001..jpg
    001..jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,161
  • 003..jpg
    003..jpg
    36 KB · Views: 775
  • 004..jpg
    004..jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 625
  • 002..jpg
    002..jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 701

Lightwave

Reaction score
Looks like you had a bad connection in the melted wirenut. The wires may have been loose, oxidized, or nicked. The wirenut may not have been been the wrong size or may have been incorrectly tightened.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Usually that means a bad connection in the wire nut, so there was added electrical resistance which caused heat and that melted the wire nut and the insulation.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Looks to me like the connection was bad.

It's hard to tell by the picture but I'm not sure that your incoming wires are the required 10 gauge wire either.
Should be all 10 gauge wired to a 30A double pole breaker.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the factory wires to the panel are #10,which is not usually the case except for 5500 watt elements, which this unit does not have, then it appears that the customer's wires are #12. It would be even worse if the factory wires are #12, because then the connecting wires which appear to be smaller would be #14.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks