Whirlpool bath problem

Users who are viewing this thread

vito

Reaction score
I have a situation I need help with. A neighbor has an Eljer corner whirlpool bath. We installed and tested and it was ok. At some point, a leak emerged in the plumbing on the side of the tub buried in the wall. I cut out some drywall and using a mirror, identified a cracked PVC pipe at a "T" fitting coming off one of the jet housings. The crack is right up by the fitting in 1 inch PVC, so I can't splice a coupling in. 2 options I am looking at that I would like advice or information if someone has it.

1. The jet housing appears to be silicon sealed to the back of the tub. There is a trim ring on the inside of the tub that also looks like it is siliconed in place. There are some notches on the inside of the trim ring that makes me think this might be removeable with a spanner type wrench. Any suggestions? It is about a 2 inch diameter trim ring.

2. If I can get the housing loose, I plan to cut the lines in the wall and pull the housing out to work in a better environment. If I can, or even if I can't, I am thinking of trying to drill the broken 1 inch pipe out of the 1 inch "T" fitting. I have seen some drill bits on line that have a pilot the size of the ID of the pipe and a cutter the ID of the fitting. Has anyone ever used such a tool?

The whirlpool is an Eljer premiere triangle model. Any advice is appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are drill bits designed to drill the pipe out of a fitting...not sure they make one in that size, but if they do, and you can get access, that should work. It's possible that the pipe to the jet connection is putting stress on things because it isn't lined up and if so, this may break again. If so, it sounds like a manufacturing defect...the stuff shouldn't crack. When was it installed? Have you talked to the manufacturer? Can you post a picture?

vito

Reaction score
Thanks. A picture is a problem. I'm working with a very small access hole going down the wall cavity and then under the tub. The tub was purchased about 9 months ago, and installed this past January. The leak was detected in February, but just now getting around to repair. It was a homeowner install, so I don't know that there is much room for a warranty claim. I think the cutter tool in a right angled drill is the ticket, hopefully it will go ok.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
At only 9-months, it's worth it to call the manufacturer for guideance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks