Pump wont shut off?

Users who are viewing this thread

tomed01

Reaction score
Well pressure problems?
« on: Today at 02:28:58 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All
I have a private well submersible pump I noticed that the well Pressure switch contacts are staying closed and pump is continusely running pressure on guage under house reads 28 to 30 psi and checked pressure at tank was 0 psi . I changed the pressure switch to a 30/50 put in new guage and poppit valve , put 28 psi on tank started back up same thing only goes to 28 to 30 psi and contacts stay closed. Noticed also next day the tank was at 0 psi again . I think the tank has gone bad ? can any one help its a well X trol tank. :confused:

tomed01

Reaction score
Also how do I check to see if line from pump has a leak?
Thanks Again!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The tank might or might not be bad, but it's the pump that makes the pressure.

If the pump is running but cannot produce the 50 psi cut-off pressure, either the pump is bad or there is a leak in the pipe between the pump and the switch. This leak is likely in the well but could also be in the lateral between the well and the house.

tomed01

Reaction score
If I close the hand valve after switch and pump has it at 30 psi and turn power off to switch it should hold the 30 psi? if it drops to 0 psi then leak is back to pump? is that correct?
Thanks

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
do you have a cutoff valve after the tank before the water goes everywhere? cut off water after tank, if pressure builds, you have a leak somewhere else. if pressure does not build, leak somewhere between pump and switch. the galvanized pipe the holds the pump may have a leak. i have seen it many times. i would try cutting valves off though and make sure you arent losing water somewhere else.

tomed01

Reaction score
ok ive traced it back to well either pump isnt putting out enough or leak in well also I noticed that well plate that pipe and power go through in well which cover well pipe bolts are ruted apart and there is a crack in plate does the main well pipe the big one the pupm slides down have to maintain pressure? would the crack have an effect?

tomed01

Reaction score
Also well is 120 ft deep and I think I saw something about 72 ft , but would the pump be all the way down and how hard are they to pull out and check?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Also well is 120 ft deep and I think I saw something about 72 ft , but would the pump be all the way down and how hard are they to pull out and check?

Steel pipe would be heavy and hard to pull. Plastic pipe won't be that bad. And yes that is the pipe with the hole, or the pump is not doing what it should.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks