Installing Cutler Hammer Surge Protector

Users who are viewing this thread

basketboy

Reaction score
I bought a Cutler Hammer CHSPULTRA whole house surge protection device, which comes with 4 wires: two go to a 2-pole breaker, one that goes to the neutral bus bar and the fourth wire that is meant to go to the ground bus bar. My load center does not have a separate ground bus bar. Any idea if both wires can be wired to the neutral bus bar or do I need to have a separate ground bar installed? Cutler Hammer's website was no help. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
If this is the main service panel, then yes they can, but make sure they go under seperate lugs.

basketboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It was the main service panel so I did as you suggested. Surge protector is up and running.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Given through those are where any surge will end up, I still think two are better than one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks