need advice remodel/termites?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kat

Reaction score
We are pretty sure that we might have a termite problem in our tub/shower.
The walls are tiled and the other day the soap dish fell off from the tile as I was holding onto it. Well, we pulled off a few tiles around it and think we see some tunneling plus the wall above the tile can be pushed in with your fingers. We have had termite damage in another area of the house several years ago so we are thinking that we are going thru this again.
I think that if most of the tile wall is going to be ripped out that we might just remodel with a shower only. What comments or advice do you have when it comes to installing those modular type(fiberglass) showers or the type that come in 3 sections such as the Lasco brand. They also carry a shower pan that has a L/R drain opening but then I guess we would have to go back with tile with that.
We will have some expense coverage with our existing termite coverage but since we will still have to pay some out of pocket we are looking for a nice but not overboard on the remodel.
Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. This would all be professionally done as we are not DIY's at all!
Kat :)

Psal2

Reaction score
Hopefully the bath isn't on the second floor. If it is and you have termites, that would mean that they have eaten their way up.

You might have what happened to me. Could be wet drywall behind the tub. I was able to push in on the wall too but there is no termite damage.

Once everything is off, you will get a better look. As far as the surround goes, I can't answer that but from what I have read, a properly installed shower/tub (with proper backing and liners, etc) will outlast the insert and it will definitely look nicer.

Good luck with your project.

Kat

Reaction score
It is a single story house so thank goodness in case it is termites. We are thinking that if we have to have the wall ripped out that we would have the tub removed and just have a nice walk in shower instead.
Is a tile shower the best way to go as far as sealing out moisture and water from behind the tile/drywall? We have also looked at the swanstone product besides the surround shower inserts. We are more concerned about having the best type of shower placed in to provide the best seal to avoid another mess like this again. The house was built in 1977 if that means anything.
Thanks again for any advice.

TheZster

Reaction score
A "properly installed" quality enclosure will last longer than you will, regardless of the type. Nothing is "waterproof" - merely water resistant. My personal thoughts are "find the source of the termites....... and fix it... Nothing you can install will cure that - and those boogers can eat their way through darned near anything (take it from one who had to have his whole house "tented" a few years back).

Find the shower type that appeals to you most..... and have a qualified pro install it. You'll be showering in a wheelchair before it gives up the ghost.

Kat

Reaction score
I have been told that a center drain is a must if taking out the tub and replacing it with a walk in shower. I have seen the shower pans that have the L/R drain holes and thought that would save some money but several people have so not a good choice. Also, can the shower pans be used as the floor or do they have to be tiled over? Thanks for the advice.
kat

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks