Witching for pipes Video, this is how you find underground pipes.

Users who are viewing this thread

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for this TERRY ! !

I have worked with plumbers and seen them do this, so i know it works also !

I do not have the touch but i once saw a guy locate a water main over 12' deep in Alaska

with witching

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF it works, and I have seen many cases where it did not, it requires that you be a "believer". I was on one job where they were looking for a sewer line and dug everywhere the witcher said to. By the time they called me and I showed them where it was, the property looked like a Beirut war zone. (The witcher said "But, there WAS something there" at all the empty holes)Other times it was concrete floors when looking for a water line. I am not a "believer", so it does not work for me, or on my jobs, so I rely on technology to find my pipes. If you want to go "high tech" with your witching, I assume they still make the "ball bearing" shaft witching tool to eliminate the friction of your hand. (REAL high tech would be to have it gyroscope balanced so the shaft always stays vertical and could only rotate when it was over the pipe, but then I doubt that it would EVER find anything)

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj, I showed my nephew how to witch for pipes this morning. He was holding the wires too loosely at first.
When I got him to wrap his fingers around the wire more, the wires started getting lively.
The wires seem to like the fingers curling around the wire, and then they move better.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
And don't spend money on a SeeSnake. A crystal ball will do the same thing without any added expenses, although it is difficult to make a DVD from it. My way would be to "witch" for the pipe, and then bring in the technology to prove it was there, before I started digging a big hole in the ground. ESPECIALLY 12 feet deep.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The water utilities use an "As Built" first, and then witch for exact location.
Before they dig up a street, they want to know that the thing they are digging for is the thing they are looking for.
It would be rather silly to dig up and find a discarded pipe in the ground.

Cookie

Reaction score
Nice Video, I am going to try it on my neighbor's property, and dig the hole to make sure it works. :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; It would be rather silly to dig up and find a discarded pipe in the ground

Wasn't that piece of pipe in the video a "discarded pipe" and he still found it? DIg down 12' and all that is there is a 2' peice of copper tubing. But at least he could say, like the one I referred to, is that "There WAS something there". And if you notice he twists his hand's position as he passes over the "pipe" and then again when he is past the pipe and the wires point backwards. IF they were working properly, he would have kept his hands RIGID and let the wires rotate in his fists.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj,

The video isn't faked. And it works for pretty much anyone I can give the wires to.
You should see the shocked look on their faces.
If you like, come for a visit and I will personally show you how to do it.
My nephew Noel didn't think he could do it either, but when I showed him how to hold the wires tighter, then the wires started moving.

hj, you have to at least try something before you can stick to that old idea of yours.

So if you can't figure out what you are seeing, do the first part of the video, take a coat hanger, cut it and try it and then report back.
It's not rocket science. Anyone can do it.

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
I've seen people witch for water out at cabins when they are putting in dug wells. What type of pipe can you find with 'witching' I always thought witching would find water not metals of any kind. Thanks for re-educating me on something I thought I already knew.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've found that the material doesn't matter, it just has to be round.

It can be empty or full of water. That doesn't seem to matter either.
When my father was still living, I put the coat hangers in his hands, it freaked him pretty bad when they started moving.
He didn't mind paying others to do things like that, but he didn't expect that they would work in his hands too.

He handed them right back and gave me a look like "Don't ever ask me to do that again!"

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have seen this used to find septic tanks, clogged sewer pipes, and that 12' dig in Alaska was a water main that we had to tap
into to fed into a New Construction job, and yes they all worked

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks