Need suggestions on sewage ejection pump for in-law suite in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Shawndh

Hack of All Trades
Reaction score
I've been looking for months for information on how to choose the best pump for my application. I'm basically building an apartment for my mother-in-law in our basement with a full bath, kitchen, washer & dryer hookups, and all. We're on septic tank, and the line going out of the basement is about 1.5' off the ground. I would like to install the pump near this line so it wont have to pump so hard to get the waste water out, but it requires a lot of trenching to get it there. The other method is to install it in middle of the basement and let all the water drain to it from there, then pump it up and out to the sewer line.

My main concern is reliabilty and failsafes to prevent flooding. What is the best pump setup I can buy with the highest reliabilty for frequent use? It will probably run every day at least once, I'm thinking. Also, what else is there to prevent a flood besides the high water alarm? Or will that be sufficient if you're aware of your system. Any suggestions?

I know that the pump will eventually go bad, but I can deal with every 10-15 years as opposed to every 2-3 years. Are my expectations realistic for my application? I'm currently looking at Zoeller (M267) units now with .4 to .5 HP motors. Please help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Forget about "10-15 years", that is completely unrealistic. 5-7 years is more likely, and depending on the circumstances, it could be even less. The idea for a pump is you install it as close to the point of use as possible, and then pump from there to the sewer connection wherever that is.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Look at zoeller at dean bennet and also Ira Woods, and if you really want security, get a duplex unit with 2 pumps.

The pump likes to work hard, dont sweat on a little distance if you use large diameter pipe without 25 elbows. [Use long sweep el's or flex PVC if you need them]

The M-53 would be fine.

Last edited:

Shawndh

Hack of All Trades
Reaction score
Thanx for the replies

So I guess I'm looking at replacing this thing every 5 years or so, if I'm lucky? So what I'm not understanding is how do I manage this system so I don't have to pull up carpet and sanitize this thing every 5 years when it goes bad? It seems like such a bad idea to go with a pump at all. It's doomed to failure and flooding without any failsafe?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It takes an hour to pull a bad pump and install a new one. Use an alarm to prevent from overflowing the pit when the pump fails.

I've seen houses that have had a working ejector pump for 15+ years and the owners didn't even know it was there.

3m

Reaction score
Sewage ejector pits have a cover that is air tight to keep the sewer gases from entering the house so when the pump fails it will show up as a clogged line, the toilet wont flush and water will come up in the tub. when the cover is removed the excess water will flown out then. they sell an alarm that can be installed in the pit to let you know when the pump fails and the water level rises too high and you can quit using it until the pump or float switch is replaced

Shawndh

Hack of All Trades
Reaction score
Sewage ejector pits have a cover that is air tight to keep the sewer gases from entering the house so when the pump fails it will show up as a clogged line, the toilet wont flush and water will come up in the tub. when the cover is removed the excess water will flown out then. they sell an alarm that can be installed in the pit to let you know when the pump fails and the water level rises too high and you can quit using it until the pump or float switch is replaced

I can live with that then. I guess, if I keep the area with the pump separated from the rest of the basement, it won't be such a bad clean-up. I guess I'm going to go with a Zoeller unit, but I'm still not sure which one. The only kits I see are .4hp or so. And I haven't seen one with the alarm that comes with it. I'll keep looking. Thanx for the advice all, and please let me know if you have any other recommendateons on pumps.

Shawndh

Hack of All Trades
Reaction score
Thanx. I guess I'll be looking at the Zoeller M264. It's cast iron with a .4HP engine. And from what I've been reading, I want the non-automatic with a piggy-pack switch.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Look at zoeller at dean bennet and also Ira Woods, and if you really want security, get a duplex unit with 2 pumps.

The pump likes to work hard, dont sweat on a little distance if you use large diameter pipe without 25 elbows. [Use long sweep el's or flex PVC if you need them]

The M-53 would be fine.

M-53 is a sump pump it will not be fine. It will clog with waste.

Now if you want a good pump that will last years. Look at a Tramco Pump they come with a 10 Year Warranty, I have seen them last 20+ years. I have a custmer that has one that is going on 32 years old. http://www.tramcopump.com/ResidentialDetails.cfm?ProdID=27

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks