Pump Pressure and Start/Stop Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Budde

Reaction score
Hi All,

My first post here. although I have been lurking for sometime. I have searched already but have not found the answers to my issues... so here goes.

3/4 HP Burcam Shallow Water Well Pump - 2 years old with captive precharged tank (with bladder). Shallow well approx. 16 feet foot deep and around 100 feet run of line. Foot valve working fine. This is used at a Cottage.

Few weeks ago I noticed that my pressure seemed to be less on the taps. Switch was factory was set at 40-60psi, but seemed to be cycling a little more often than before. I had to disconnect the pump last week because I had my basement poured. Put the pump back in and decided to check the psi in the tank.... well it would hardly read on the tire guage..... so I put 32psi of air in as my switch is 40/60 psi. Manual says it's precharged at 28psi from factory. Turn on the pump and open a facet and she spit air for a bit and then started doing the on/off dance..cut in and out constantly. So I decide to play around with the switch adjustments. Now I have no more air coming out the factes but it starts at about 45psi and almost imeedaitely jumps to 60psi and stops..... almost like there is no "build up" of pressure. I do have water in facets but again the pressure is not good.. I'd say less than before. It also stops and starts more. The tank is still at 30psi.

Any suggestiosn what to do here? I think i might have screwed around with the 2 switch adjustments too much or maybe a the bladder is bad?????

Many Thanks.

Brad

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
45/60 is still OK. I am guessing the bladder in the tank is bad. When you aired it up, the air went on the wrong side of the bladder. Take the tank off, turn it upside down, let air out by pressing the stem, and I will bet water comes out instead of air.

flogage

Reaction score
pump pressure and short cycling

I have a similar problem. I have an above ground storage tank with a booster pump. With no flow the booster pump runs about 10 seconds, shuts off for about 15 seconds then starts again. I have tried adjusting the on/off set points and this is the best I can get. I suspected a leaky blatter on the pressure tank but I removed the tank, inverted it and got air out of the air pressure valve with no water. I suspect a leaky check valve in the pump but I am not sure if it has one. It is a Dayton pump.

Can anyone offer troubleshooting suggestions?

Thanks,

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The pump must have a check valve. And either the check valve is not working or you have a hole in the pipe. The pressure should not drop and the pump should not come on if you are not using any water.

Budde

Reaction score
In case someone else has the same problem here's the outcome.

I replaced the switch and the guage. The guage was not working properly that was the start of my problem and me fooling around the org. switch made it worse. It works great now... just like new. I hope the bladder didn't sustain much damage in the process. I shoudl mention that the new switch is 30/50 with tank at 28lbs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks