(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Galvanized for gas in fireplace?

Default Galvanized for gas in fireplace?

So I did the right thing and spent a solid amount of money to have a licensed/bonded plumber run a gas line to my fireplace. I came home last night to find everything beautifully done. However, he ran black pipe outside the house and when it transitioned inside, it's galvanized, right into the firebox.

Is that OK? I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Some things I read say that black pipe MUST be used near fire, other things I read say galvanized is OK. I don't want to get into a fight with my plumber over this if I don't have to, but I just don't want my house to explode down the road.

Also -- part of the pipe will be covered over by brick -- that needs to be wrapped with tape, right? He didn't do that.

Thanks.

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Well I don't know about S. Cali but I know up here in BC you are NOT allowed to use galvanized piping for gas.... black steel, copper, or a corrugated stainless steel are the preferred piping materials.

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter shacko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsee View Post
    So I did the right thing and spent a solid amount of money to have a licensed/bonded plumber run a gas line to my fireplace. I came home last night to find everything beautifully done. However, he ran black pipe outside the house and when it transitioned inside, it's galvanized, right into the firebox.

Is that OK? I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Some things I read say that black pipe MUST be used near fire, other things I read say galvanized is OK. I don't want to get into a fight with my plumber over this if I don't have to, but I just don't want my house to explode down the road.

Also -- part of the pipe will be covered over by brick -- that needs to be wrapped with tape, right? He didn't do that.

Thanks.
    It's going to come down to the usual reply, you have to check your local jurisdiction to get a viable answer.

Some areas will allow galv. on gas lines.

Black pipe outside usually requires it to at least to be painted.

Running gas pipe thru walls requires a sleeve.

The only one that can answer is local code office.

Quote Originally Posted by shacko View Post
    It's going to come down to the usual reply, you have to check your local jurisdiction to get a viable answer.

Some areas will allow galv. on gas lines.

Black pipe outside usually requires it to at least to be painted.

Running gas pipe thru walls requires a sleeve.

The only one that can answer is local code office.
    Ah, just what I didn't want to hear! Trying to navigate the L.A. Building Department is like running through a maze. I don't even know where to begin! Thanks though.

LA code is based on the UPC, which allows galvanized for gas (it was once required for buried gas lines). There are a few cities in Southern California that require black pipe (Santa Monica, Santa Barbara...) but that is really for purposes of identification (so it won't be confused with a water line). The only issue would be if the pipe got hot enough to burn the zinc coating, but any fumes should go right up the flue and I don't see a problem. The black pipe outside should be 6" or more above the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by asktom View Post
    LA code is based on the UPC, which allows galvanized for gas (it was once required for buried gas lines). There are a few cities in Southern California that require black pipe (Santa Monica, Santa Barbara...) but that is really for purposes of identification (so it won't be confused with a water line). The only issue would be if the pipe got hot enough to burn the zinc coating, but any fumes should go right up the flue and I don't see a problem. The black pipe outside should be 6" or more above the ground.
    Thanks so much -- we've got it covered on all points. Should work out great. Now I just need to wrap the pipe with tape where it will be covered with masonry and I'm good to go! Thanks again.

HE did it backwards. Here, galvanized is required outside and black CAN be used indoors, but is not required (it can be galvanized).