Putting a T connection at the natural gas line

Users who are viewing this thread

bis

Reaction score
Hello,
I have natural gas pool heater connection at the inlet close to gas meter.It is in T shape.
At the T,One connection to house supply and the other to pool heater.
City inspection guy failed inspection saying install full size T at house side of gas meter line.I am sure natural gas is supplied at some pressure wether you put T connection at the source or take one side T off and put T connection on pipe entering the house should't make any difference.You could easily slide that T joint to source inlet and you have the same situation what we started with.This is the law of mass transfer.Total gas comming into residence
=Gas supply to pool heater+gas supply to house.
How can it reduce the gas supply to house completely when pool heater is operating?
I am sure pressure can't drop to nill on house side of pipe.
Can you please Give me some input to this problem.Will it really reduce gas supply to house?
Naem

Last edited:

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Can you add a pciture? I am not sure if I understand the situation.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hard to tell without seeing what you have. What are the BTU requirements of stuff on each branch? And, what size pipe and T is it? What size pipes feed each side? The pressure will only be constant when no flow. The regulator will try to keep the pressure up, but it also depends a lot on the length of the pipe, it's diameter, how many turns it takes, and the BTU (flow) requirements. If there are reductions anywhere, it can mess up the flow.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. We would have to see where AND how that tee was installed. Gas behaves slightly differently than water, but the codes equate the two. What WILL work and what is REQUIRED, are not always the same. Show us a picture of what your connection looks like.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks