Kitchen Sink Drain Space Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

BrooklynDIY

Reaction score
Hello all...this is my first post on this forum. I have searched extensively and I think I found a post with a similar answer to this one, it wanted to make sure I was correct that I can do this before I proceed.

The drain enters my sink base from the right hand side of my sink and relatively low...Perhaps a maximum of 5 inches off of the bottom of the cabinet. Essentially this means that if I run the drain pipe straight down from the sink, into the p-trap and out to the stack that I have no room under my sink.

I read a post that sounded like it was possible to make a 90 degree elbow immediately after the drain exits the sink...then run horizontally to the side and then another 90 degree elbow vertically down to the P-Trap.

I have attached my attempt to diagram this solution... Please let me know if this is acceptable. Also, would It also be possible to still run my dishwasher drain hose into the vertical section of the drain pipe...

Thanks,

BrooklynDIY

Attachments

• Kitchen Sink Drai&.JPG
    Kitchen Sink Drai&.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 367

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sure,
12" or even a bit farther is fine.
The dishwasher can tee or wye into the vertical section before the p-trap.
Local code my require an air-gap.
Any NY savvy plumbers out there on that?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The trap is what blocks smells from the pipes (and sewer gasses) getting back into the room. The further away the trap is from the sink, the more pipe is exposed to open air, and it can get nasty smelling sometimes. So, while you can, you may not want to. Plastic pipe tends to stay fairly clean, but it really depends on what you put down there.

BrooklynDIY

Reaction score
As a follow on question, what are acceptable locations to put the air-gap if I use one. There isn't really space on the sink/counter. Could I put it in the pipe run? Thoughts?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you DO NOT put it on the sink or counter, it will be a source of flooding in the cabinet. Plastic pipe seems to accumulate "stuff" that creates odors more, and faster, than brass tubing.

BrooklynDIY

Reaction score
So that sounds like putting it in the sink base isn't a good idea either...I'll probably end up skipping the air gap if thats the case.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks