Transformer

Users who are viewing this thread

g4s

Reaction score
I installed a new thermostat last night without turning the power off, and i have read that doing so may cause the transformer to short out. How do i tell where the transformer is and if that is the problem?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have a multimeter, it should be fairly easy. If I remember properly, measure between the red and white wires...if you have 22-30vac, it should be fine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You would only damage the transformer if you shorted the lines while installing the new thermostat. Just touching two or more wires together would NOT necessarily short out the transformer unless it was the "wrong" two wires. Even then it would normally only happen if the transformer had an internal, or external, fuse. You probably have a miswired thermostat if it is not working.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
As to WHERE it is, if you have a forced air unit, air handler, or gas furnace, the transformer is inside that unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks