High profile toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

DAJ

Reaction score
I am shopping for a new toilet (actually two). I want them to be "high profile" (i.e. ADA compliant.) The specs on most show 16 1/2" to rim for high toilets, confirming what my local plumbing showroom salesperson told me--that this is the industry standard. I did find a Kohler that shows a 17" height in the specs. The TOTO Drake CST744SL states something about meeting ADA requirements "where installed so top of seat is 17" - 19" from finished floor."

So what gives? When testing the 16 1/2" toilets they still don't seem very comfortable for someone with long legs and very bad knees. I swear I have been on higher toilets at others' homes or in stores. restaurants, etc. Is installation that will raise toilet rim height unusual or difficult? HELP.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I installed a American Standard Circa 1922 toilet for a chiropractor about 4 months ago. The guy actually is built like Arnold Sch. and threw the toilet on his shoulders and took it up the steps like it was nothing. I believe that is the tallest toilet I have ever installed, let alone the largest. It stood tall and looked like an almighty porcelain throne. I personally like Toto toilets the best. They make seat extenders in your situation, also grab bars that make getting on and off any toilet easy. I don't have bad knees but I am sure it is difficult in your situation. If you have an adjoining wall close to this toilet I would suggest a large grab bar to help yourself on and off the toilet as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks