Toto "Drake" Installation Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Henry G

Reaction score
So I installed my Toto today, but I ran into a problem. The wax ring I used doesn't seem to compress enough to allow the toilet to sit flush with the floor. The problem is the rear, or the front of the toilet ill sit higher depending on how I apply the pressure. Is it possible the wax ring I used was too tall?

The floor is level, and I installed a new closet flange.

I also noticed on the box the wax ring came in that it mentioned to install the ring in 70 degree temp. I would imagine the house was only 60 at the time. Would this slight difference in temps make a huge difference?

I haven't pulled up the toilet yet, but I did bolt it down the best I could. I just made the bolts snug as to not damage the toilet, but I didn't notice much of a difference.

Guess I'll need to buy another ring, and try again? Any advice?

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I once had a black swann wax ring with out a horn and it was difficult to compress. I tossed it to the garbage got a different brand and it compressed fine.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the new flange is not sitting firmly and completely level on the floor (no gaps!), the toilet could be hitting the flange which is holding it up. Otherwise, you may just have to smush it down further. Don't rely on the bolts to squish the wax flat. If you used a ring with a plastic horn, it may be holding the toilet up...use one without the horn, they work better.

Henry G

Reaction score
If the new flange is not sitting firmly and completely level on the floor (no gaps!), the toilet could be hitting the flange which is holding it up. Otherwise, you may just have to smush it down further. Don't rely on the bolts to squish the wax flat. If you used a ring with a plastic horn, it may be holding the toilet up...use one without the horn, they work better.

I tossed the wax ring with the plastic horn, and purchased one with it. Apparently that was the problem all along. Thanks again guys!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks